Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Selling ad space on truck... Advice

OK, I use one of these...

and I'm adamant about networking so I'm working w/ this CPA on getting my tax situation in order.

Anyway, I ran it by him that I'm thinking about selling advertising space on the side of my truck, just the bottom 18" split into 2. So to give y'all a visual, it'll be one long strip along the bottom that's 18" high and split at the halfway point for 2 ads on each side.

I told him that I went to high school with the guy that has been doing some graphic stuff for me and he's gonna do some business t-shirts for me and that I may give him the other other ad space in exchange for the t-shirts plus the truck graphics.

My question is what would be a fair price for something like this ad for him to pay me? He's already said that he's definitely interested and to just give him a figure. I don't to give him a price that's too high, but honestly I don't know how advertisers figure their prices.

He said that it would have to be on a quarterly basis, so he could pay monthly and he'd want to draft up an agreement, I said perfect. March is the end of the first quarter so I want to be on this!

What y'all think is fair?
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw
Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea on the add space costs, but are you sure you want to put adds for other companies on YOUR vehicle. There are plenty of companies out there that drive around with adds for companies on their stuff, but I know I wouldnt do it with mine. My truck represents me and no body else. I understand your thinking, "its some extra income" but i guess you need to decide if you really want to do that. You want someone to see your add and think about it...not get distracted by an add for a CPA or some other business.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
I have no idea on the add space costs, but are you sure you want to put adds for other companies on YOUR vehicle. There are plenty of companies out there that drive around with adds for companies on their stuff, but I know I wouldnt do it with mine. My truck represents me and no body else. I understand your thinking, "its some extra income" but i guess you need to decide if you really want to do that. You want someone to see your add and think about it...not get distracted by an add for a CPA or some other business.
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want someone else's information on my truck.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't really like the idea. I probably wouldn't pay more than $200/month and that truck would have to be out and about everyday.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm with the others. i don't like the idea of putting someone elses information on my truck. i don't even have my information on my current truck.

we run lawn and landscaping business not advertising businesses and we aren't nascar racers either.

i also wouldn't want the responsibility of getting the truck around town all the time because the advertisers on your truck want to be seen as much as possible. plus who's to say you take the truck in areas the advertisers want to advertise. and i'm not about to start taking my truck places i don't already work in just because i have someone paying me to advertise there information.

i go where work takes me, not the other way around.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's a great idea! And for the one's that think it's a bad idea, that means you don't have any stickers on your vehicle, like NRA, DU, Mossey Oak, elect so and so or the biggest one, The dealer they bought the vehicle from.
I would think you could get businesses to advertise this way. It's all about branding. The more you see or hear a name the better.

Good Luck,
James
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would work better with some one you sub contract or that subs you out. I think it would be a little weird to pair a graphic design co. with a lco. For instance, if you just do mowing advertise a fert and squirt co. where you have space. Who knows it may open up some sub work also and you make money both ways. Just a thought but I dont think I would pay more than 150-175/month for the space. T-shirts are cheap, wouldnt be a fair trade to you.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
I think it would work better with some one you sub contract or that subs you out. I think it would be a little weird to pair a graphic design co. with a lco. For instance, if you just do mowing advertise a fert and squirt co. where you have space. Who knows it may open up some sub work also and you make money both ways. Just a thought but I dont think I would pay more than 150-175/month for the space. T-shirts are cheap, wouldnt be a fair trade to you.
I paid $250 for 10 short sleeve, front & back, one color, cotton t-shirts two years ago.

Now I wanna get 10 long sleeve, polyester moisture-wicking, front & back, one color t-shirts... they will run about the same.

Also, FastSigns did an estimate for truck graphics for me and it costs $700 per side and $300 for the rear roll-up door. I don't know exactly what application they were estimating but I told him exactly what I would want on the side, basically same design that's on my business card minus my name and email address.

So, if my buddy does it in exchange for the advertising it would be worth $1400 + $250 for shirts = $1650. That's for a quarter (3 months out of the year). Then I'd prolly do the same thing the next quarter but only with more product, some sweatshirts & jackets to get ready for Fall.
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw
Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Lawn/Landscape View Post
I think it's a great idea! And for the one's that think it's a bad idea, that means you don't have any stickers on your vehicle, like NRA, DU, Mossey Oak, elect so and so or the biggest one, The dealer they bought the vehicle from.
I would think you could get businesses to advertise this way. It's all about branding. The more you see or hear a name the better.

Good Luck,
James
well you'd be correct on that. i don't have any stickers on my vehicle. i don't even have my own business name on my truck.

sure it's true the more you see and hear a name the better but i'm interested in getting my name out there, not someone elses.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh_Cut View Post
I paid $250 for 10 short sleeve, front & back, one color, cotton t-shirts two years ago.

So, if my buddy does it in exchange for the advertising it would be worth $1400 + $250 for shirts = $1650. That's for a quarter (3 months out of the year). Then I'd prolly do the same thing the next quarter but only with more product, some sweatshirts & jackets to get ready for Fall.
Sorry to break it to you...but you got robbed. I get Moisture wicking polos, embroidered with my company name for 18 bucks a piece. Plain T's..maybe 5-10 bucks..for a few...i just go to Walmart. Maybe I am missing something?