Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

ICT users, What skid sprayer to use?

Just like the title says, what skid sprayer should be used with the 1 2 3 Instant Compost Tea? And can it be applied up to 8 times per year? And would I still need to topdress with compost and meals for a full fert program or does it work fine as a stand-alone?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

ICT Instant Compost Tea works well as a stand alone, I think it works even better with a program that also adds organic matter to the soil.

Application by any skid mount works well. The important part is to calibrate your sprayer by adjusting tip size, pressure, and walking speed to be sure you are applying the amount of active ingredients as specified on the label.

I'm sure Bill will chime in here once he's done serving dinner to his friends.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC1187 View Post
Just like the title says, what skid sprayer should be used with the 1 2 3 Instant Compost Tea? And can it be applied up to 8 times per year? And would I still need to topdress with compost and meals for a full fert program or does it work fine as a stand-alone?
GTC1187: what kind of turf is typical for your area, probably to cool for St Augustine, you probably have Bermuda, zoyzia

The tea is just part of a program, we like to see top dressing with compost once or twice a year or use an organic fert that is high in organic matter, like composted chicken manure

as a friend of mine still says, organic matter is the gas that makes the engine run

I have seen many St Aug sites in FL that use our tea only but only after they have transitioned the turf with organic matter applications the first 2 years

One of our frequent Sunday diners actually had us over tonight, nice I didn't have to cook
Old 03-14-2011, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

St. Augustine is actually the most abundant turfgrass around here. And I dont have a problem applying a topdressing of compost twice a year, I was just hoping to not have to deal with it all the time.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you done any soil tests lately to see what the soil organic matter is?
it should be at least 2% to start a stand alone tea program, 5% to 7% is ideal, once you get there you can slow down on the compost applications for a year or two at least and get away with just tea