Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

3 theives caught in Delaware

So last year I had a Meyers e-60 pump stolen off one of my trucks lucky I had a back up pump with all of the snow we were getting. I decided to get a camera system then during this summer my enclosed trailer gets robbed for two backpack blowers and two hedge trimmers which I was happy they did not take it all. So I look at the footage call the police for a police report no luck with the thief's getting caught then this winter I made sure everything was locked down pumps, building, blades, etc. The guys getting pumps come back they couldn't get my pumps so they move on to my fellow landscaper in my business park and take his pump,lights,and ez mount bar. cops are called have good pics of thieves a month goes by and we receive a call they are caught and the artice is in the newspaper with pics of the three charged two match the photos on the cameras. Come to find out they are located only a couple of miles from us and they are landscapers also as the police gave us there address to take them to court So now I go to the local farmers market (local flea market) and I see one of my blowers call the wife for vin numbers of stolen equipment and long story short got my blower back and have a lead to catching the two guys that stole 14K-16K worth of 2 cycle equipment from me and other landscapers this summer. Now we have a electric gate being installed to deter other thieves from entering property. But it seems no matter how good equipment is locked down if someone wants it they can get it, just how long will they get away with it. Well thanks for letting me vent and Good luck to everyone this year. Hopefully I will catch the other thieves with the lead I got.
1986 Toyota 4x4 7' meyers plow
1999 wells cargo 8x18 enclosed trailer
2014 pj 6.11x16 10k landscape trailer
Exmark lazer z's with bag systems
Exmark Navigator/ Walker
Exmark walk behinds with bag kits
Echo trimmers,blowers,hedge trimmers, etc.
lots of hand tools etc.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad to see they nailed them and you got some stuff back. Sad what you have to spend to keep others from stealing. In this day and age, a lock only keeps an honest man out.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Curious what area this is in because there's been a number of break-ins in the Rt 40/7 area in Bear. They got some landscape equipment, cat converters, and broke into several cars in the storage lot. Last break in was a couple weeks ago. The landscape trailer was locked but they pried the latch and ripped it off the rear door to get in it.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Member

This happened in stanton area Rt40/7 is not far from us. The people cut locks off enclosed tailers and peeled a door at hinge on another trailer. Could be same people check farmers market for items stolen also craigslist. We are in a large storage area/ business park also. The thefts always happened on a weekend around 3:00-4:00 am according to our cameras one man is a white man approx six foot skinny around 40-44 years in age the second is a spanish man maybe five eight med. build not sure on age last seen driving kia four door with red primmered drivers door but also have a pickup truck. Items stolen 4 echo 755t backpacks, 6-8 shindawa backpacks (model that is same as 755t echo), 2 echo hc-150 hedge clippers, 4 stihl hs 81 hedge clippers, 4-6 stihl fs 80 trimmers Echo stuff was mine and other stuff belongs to woltemate lawn care in same complex. We have a few leads and photos were sent to dgma/nccp/state police and sububan lawn equipment of suspects and car. We caught the plow theifs now if we get these guys I will be happy ,hopefully our new gate will be installed before they try again.
1986 Toyota 4x4 7' meyers plow
1999 wells cargo 8x18 enclosed trailer
2014 pj 6.11x16 10k landscape trailer
Exmark lazer z's with bag systems
Exmark Navigator/ Walker
Exmark walk behinds with bag kits
Echo trimmers,blowers,hedge trimmers, etc.
lots of hand tools etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I would sit in a car from midnight till sun up on some weekends and wait for them.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im glad to hear you got your stuff back. I tell people all the time that enclosed trailers are not a good place for storage. We unlaod our trailers and leave them unlocked so the doors dont get pried open.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

we have payed to have someone stay overnight they just dont come in the lot on those nights. lol So now we have a gate being installed key in key out I will have remotes in the trucks so we dont have to get out or give key code to employees hopefully this will help. Just have good insurance for when these things happen.