Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2011, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have no doubt that there are people for whom this service is perfect. It really does take all of the work out of setting up an online payment option for those that don't want to bother or don't have the knowledge.

But now that Paypal is doing transfers for free (I just got $600 from a customer, no fee for either of us) and Godaddy is doing hosting and domains for about $60 a year (including free email forwarding) it just doesn't make sense for a lot of people. Website programming is easy once you have the template set up.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I have no doubt that there are people for whom this service is perfect. It really does take all of the work out of setting up an online payment option for those that don't want to bother or don't have the knowledge.

But now that Paypal is doing transfers for free (I just got $600 from a customer, no fee for either of us) and Godaddy is doing hosting and domains for about $60 a year (including free email forwarding) it just doesn't make sense for a lot of people. Website programming is easy once you have the template set up.
people are service fee'd to death...i for one am tired of giving my hard earned money to anyone not working for it !!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
people are service fee'd to death...i for one am tired of giving my hard earned money to anyone not working for it !!!!
The only thing stopping me from doing it are the fees. Intuit does not hit me with hidden fees. He makes it sound like every other merchant bank is running a shady business, and while I will agree that some are, there are many good alternatives that don't require the addiional fees. In this economy your going to tell your customers that your going to charge fee to pay by credit card? No thanks. I don't want to be known as the lawn care company who thinks he is a phone company.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2011, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Stillwater,

Thank you for stating your opinion. Our physical address is stated within the website. It is required by Visa and Mastercard. We are located in the city of Royal Oak, Michigan. Our phone number is listed within the contact page.

LandscapePayments is set up to help you save as much time and money as possible. That is why we openly disclose our pricing structure and allow you to contact us online. There are no names on the site because at LandscapePayments there is not one specific person that can answer your questions or handle your problems. Everyone is trained to handle your requests. However, the one name you do need to know, and why it is listed on the site, is my name...Jason King. As the owner I have built my business on customer service and making sure our clients are satisfied. If the need ever arises and you would like to speak with me direct I try and make myself readily available to speak with our clients.

Charging for statement fees is not a marketing mistake. Every standard merchant will charge for this. There is a cost involved to produce these for you and that is why it is charged. The difference between us and other merchants is we provide this in electronic format for you to easily update your financial records. Other merchants provide this in paper format and will charge you for this as well.

I understand you may not like the convenience fees. but like you, being business men we need to structure our business to make money. We do not make money on you as our client. The transaction fees, as previously mentioned, get passed on to the credit card networks and card issuaing banks. So in order for us to provide you a value based service and keep your costs to the absolute minimum we have passed these costs on to your client.

Your clients, no doubt, are money savvy, like yourself. So let them choose whether they want to pay a convenience fee. If they don't use the service it costs you nothing.

At LandscapePayments we understand that this service is not for certain people, and we respect that. We are simply trying to help lawn and landscape pros grow their business, help increase cash flow, and help educate them about accepting credit cards.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Lush Green Lawn,

Please make no mistake in that we are not trying to make other merchants sound like they are running a shady business. There are many very reputable companies out there that can provide you the ability to accept credit cards.

What we are trying to do is give you a different option for accepting payments, and help you understand the differences between LandscapePayments and other companies.

There is a reason your clients hire you to perform the services you offer. In many situations it is simply to save time. If this economy is hurting your clients enough financially, so as to not pay a convenience fee to save time, then there is the possibility they can not afford your service as well. And that is why many companies are experiencing delayed payments, causing you to spend additional money trying to collect on them. Giving your clients the option to use their credit card allows them to finance your services on their terms, or simply allows you to receive your money without having to stop their service, or pursue collection methods.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Jason are you also a doctor?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

djagusch,

If you are referring to the Dr. Jason King, also located in Royal Oak, no that is not me. I am not a doctor.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapePayments.com View Post
Lush Green Lawn,

Please make no mistake in that we are not trying to make other merchants sound like they are running a shady business. There are many very reputable companies out there that can provide you the ability to accept credit cards.

What we are trying to do is give you a different option for accepting payments, and help you understand the differences between LandscapePayments and other companies.

There is a reason your clients hire you to perform the services you offer. In many situations it is simply to save time. If this economy is hurting your clients enough financially, so as to not pay a convenience fee to save time, then there is the possibility they can not afford your service as well. And that is why many companies are experiencing delayed payments, causing you to spend additional money trying to collect on them. Giving your clients the option to use their credit card allows them to finance your services on their terms, or simply allows you to receive your money without having to stop their service, or pursue collection methods.
Jason,

Many people are turned off by being charged a fee for everything. It has nothing to do with their level of income. I can easily pay my bills, but if I hired a contractor and they started charging me a 3% fee to process my credit card, I would find a new contractor. People have publicly made it very clear that they are fed up with company's stating a price for service, and then tacking on additional fees.

I have made a commitment to my customers to not add additional fees not included in their original agreement. No Fuel surcharges, bogus taxes, convenience fee's, ect. People would much rather see a reasonable price increase than an additional line item on their invoice charging an additional fee.

You have to understand that when you are the only merchant bank charging a convenience fee for processing, then people will tend to react poorly to it. I recently spent several weeks searching for the best processor, and not one charged the customer a fee for using a credit card. As a matter of fact, when I signed up for intuit they told me that it would be against VISA and Mastercards terms of service to charge a fee or higher price to use a credit card, and my account would be terminated if I did. I guess the rules for processing company are different, but there is a reason that they don't want me to do it, because it reflects poorly on their industry.

If you drop that fee I'm sure you would make up the difference by attracting more clients. I would be able to look past the setup fee, after all, You do offer a little more than most merchant banks, the ability to link to a webpage where the customer can run their own card. The convenience fee is going to be a deal killer for anyone who has shopped different merchant banks.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

lushgreenlawn,

Thank you for your comments. One thing I do want to clarify, is that convenience fees and surcharges are different. You are correct in stating that it is against Visa and MC rules to charge more to cover the cost of transaction fees. However, if a fee is being charged for a bona fide convenience of using an alternate payment channel outside of the merchant's normal business practice then convenience fees are allowed.

We are always striving to improve our services and look for ways to keep costs and fees to a minimum. And because of our current fee structure we understand that this service may not fit the needs of everyone.

We wish you continued success this year.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using www.landscapebilling.com for years, and at first I thought maybe you were doing something similiar to what they have. But from looking at your site, you dont provide any customer account management abilities? So if Suzy Q. is my customer, will she have an account that I set up using your program, that I can create invoices to, and track her account balances? Or are you simply a "paypal" type program, just being a middle man for money, with no customer account management abilities?

A bunch of websites that all forward to www.FargoSnow.com

where are the real business growth experts? I know you are here reading and keeping tabs on the industry. PM me...