Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubota B1700 issues

I bought a kubota B1700 about 6 months ago. A couple weeks into aeration season it shot a rubber plug out from underneath the tractor letting all the hydro tranny fluid out....or what seemed like all. It was a mess!

I got the plug back in and went to kubota to buy some fresh fluid. Only issue is it holds a ton of oil and it calls for Kubota SuperUDT fluid which is $20.00 per gallon. The guy at the parts counter said you HAVE to use this there is no subsitution. Is this true? or just a sales pitch?

Secondly when I first picked up the tractor from the guy I bought it from you showed me how most of the times when you go to start the tractor the starter will just click click click when you turn the key but eventually it will engage and start. I told him its more then likely the starter solonoid has gone bad or possible a bad starter. He "claims" he has already switched both and it didn't fix it.....not sure to beleive that or not? what else could that be?

Lastly I noticed just when I got the tractor home for the first time while climbing up my steep driveway at half throttle you can hear a lot of "gear" type meshing noises coming from the front end (4X4 tractor) it was in 2X4 mode at the time. Im wondering if this is normal to hear kinda like a old chain & sprocket type noise coming from the front end or if thats a sign that something is getting ready to let go in the differential?

Im new to tractors and have no experience with these. Any info would be great thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Kubota uses a specific formula for their UDT fluids their are no substitutes for UDT fluid unfortunatly.

Also check your fluid levels in the front axel. You can top off using 80W-90 Gear Oil or the UDT fluid. Check for leaks cause you might have some hub issues. But take a gander at the fluid, always check it on a level surface.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I've read several horror stories on Tractorbynet in the kubota forums of kubota owners balking at the price of SuperUDT, and going with a -equivelent- that's ended up with a ruined tractor and a big bill. Get off the dime and spend the money on the SuperUDT and have some piece of mind.

The hydrostatic transmissions on the Kubota's are all pretty winey and noisy. On hills, make sure that your throttle is high and your in a lower gear range. If you stay in high, then be light on the go peddle.