Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

snow snow snow...

Here in New England and much of the east there has been snow storm after snow storm. I haven't seen the ground since Christmas. When the snow finally melts(someday) what should I be looking out for?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me about it. Were going to see a lot of snow mold.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My keys I lost them in the snow. I think

We have had snow on the ground most of the time sense nov.

You should have done your snow mold app after the first snow.

Charles Cue
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snow is a normal situation for Wisco, it is greater for the Dakotas and MN, but we hardly ever have a brown Christmas and if it is gone by the Ides of March, it is... an early spring...

There have been squirt and fert people, pushing for pre-emptive fungicides to clear away the 'snow mold'...

Truth is... it does no harm... blowing the ground during spring cleanup, eliminates all signs of it even being there... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was discovered that the excessive N that promotes snow mold is found to be the system that keeps N in the 'cycle' for the plantlife, by storing N in their dead bodies...

There is a natural process for almost everything you can imagine... snow mold destroys nothing, to my knowledge....
Old 02-04-2011, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Axe
you are correct snow mold feeds on the nitrogen that is available in the grass, golf courses that get it often will use humate in late fall to sequester the nitrogen and reduce damage from snow mold

the N is released through microbial action later in the spring when the microbes wake up, typically after the soil has warmed passed 50F
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Axe
you are correct snow mold feeds on the nitrogen that is available in the grass, golf courses that get it often will use humate in late fall to sequester the nitrogen and reduce damage from snow mold

the N is released through microbial action later in the spring when the microbes wake up, typically after the soil has warmed passed 50F
Don't know if this is 'trade secrets' for you but, is it possible that charcoal sequesters N as well as humates?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did my last fall ap in the first week of Sept.
I always use slow release and do all the corrrect practice
to promote healthy turff.....I think
{ looking foreward to switching to organic practices this season.}

well the amount of snow in my area was the 6th highest in recorded history.
somewhere around 80".

I've got a property that faces SW and is melting well around the edges
temps have been hugging 50* and here comes the snow mold. Never ever had this problem on any of my lawns before {since 1987}

I'm thinking since we've had snow cover since the 2nd week of Nov. and the amount we've had is the biggest problem as an insulator. We've had no ground to look at until this week and many places are still covered.

How would you remedy this? I've had this lawn for 7 yrs and have always aerated and dethatched in the spring.

Nov 13th we had 6" as our first snow, and it kept piling up from there.
I'm going out today to get an eyeball on it. This pic is from the HO who emailed me the pic. Also last season we had record amount of rain. It rained every week.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by unit28; 03-18-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit28 View Post
I did my last fall ap in the first week of Sept.
I always use slow release and do all the corrrect practice
to promote healthy turff.....I think
{ looking foreward to switching to organic practices this season.}

well the amount of snow in my area was the 6th highest in recorded history.
somewhere around 80".

I've got a property that faces SW and is melting well around the edges
temps have been hugging 50* and here comes the snow mold. Never ever had this problem on any of my lawns before {since 1987}

I'm thinking since we've had snow cover since the 2nd week of Nov. and the amount we've had is the biggest problem as an insulator. We've had no ground to look at until this week and many places are still covered.

How would you remedy this? I've had this lawn for 7 yrs and have always aerated and dethatched in the spring.

Nov 13th we had 6" as our first snow, and it kept piling up from there.
I'm going out today to get an eyeball on it. This pic is from the HO who emailed me the pic. Also last season we had record amount of rain. It rained every week.

Thanks.
I see some plow damage, but not snow mold.

There are easy ways of preventing snow mold, has to do with the type of fert used.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I see some plow damage, but not snow mold.

There are easy ways of preventing snow mold, has to do with the type of fert used.
I agree with the easy ways of preventative maintenance. I like easy and effective myself.

But no plow damage, they use a snowblower, and the turf is well intact to the edges. I know this from history and yesterday's early morning onsite inspection. The usual recomendation of removing snow from the turf abutted to edges of driveways etc. is because that's where the snow removed from driveways etc. usually gets piled up, {causing mold issues}. The total amount of snow on the entire lawn this winter is deep enough to cause an insulating factor, Caused from the first snow through the entire winter season. For instance my pond never froze under the snow. For grass, the xylem remained active.

The neighboring lawns are showing the same conditions. many are worse.
Details of mold are not depicted in the above photo, but the unconvincing thatch is. weird huh. No voles or moles that is thatch in the photo. Neighboring lawns are completly covered with it.

I hope to get an early start with the simple facts and work on neighboring lawns as well. Simple facts beginning with, it is what it is now let me help you with that. General practices to remedy {Rx} this is simple light raking to lift matted down areas.

Early morning inspections indicated hyphae with circular patterns and matted areas. No brown appearnce, or forcasted issues

The management tactics I use will be tweaked a bit.
not much I can do about drastic climatic changes though.
So the future goals and timing for implementation are going to be standard.
But with an exception of embracing further ecological conservation

Fert as you recommended for starters.
I'm looking to primarely address that from a sustainable aproach here on.

Last edited by unit28; 03-19-2011 at 10:58 AM.