Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2003, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

starting out

I was fired from a job in Florida for no reason of my own. I had no money saved and was suffering pretty bad from asthma. I decieded to move to San Antonio because I was raised in Texas, Corpus Christi which isn't to far from here. All I had was a sears credit card and no money. I always wanted to try and start my own lawn service so I said this is the time. I had an old van to haul my equipment. I had a 3,000 dollar limit on my sears card. I went to Sears and bought a lawn mower and weedeater and edger and a few other tools. I was homeless living in my van so I also bought a cell phone and rented a mailbox. I bought some material from Home Depot and some paint and started making signs. I put signs around the neighborhoods I wanted to do. I would get calls on my cell phone and do everything in the back of my van. Every day I would have to go to storage and unload my bed and tv and stove and other articles and then load up my equipment and go do yards and when I was finished I would drop off my equipment at storage and get my bed and stuff. It did'nt really take to long to get a fairly good business going. Within 2 months I got an apartment and a computer. 6 years later I just moved into a big 4 bedroom house with a big yard. I just got married last year and I also obtained 4 beautiful Cocker Spaniels that we now breed and show for a hobby. I guess I have a lot to be thankful for from this business I just wish the grass grew year round ha ha.