Register free!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

overseeding soccer field

I will working at a small private school that has 2 soccer fields. It does need overseeding. Should I use just a rye blend for the spring or rye and KBG mix?

THanks!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Rye or Blue

Typically Spring seedings are tough. I usually recommend rye in the spring since it germinates in 7 days. Blue can take 30 days or more to germinate and has a tough time establishing in the spring. Tall fescue is another option but although it is fast to germinate it needs to establish for a year before it can withstand any amount of traffic. In my opinion rye is the only logical choice
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Another thought

There are a lot of people out there that will recommend Blue/Rye mixtures with upwards of 30% rye. I was told by a very well know agronomist that if you are going to use 30% rye you might as well use all rye since no other grass can compete with that amount of rye and you will end up with all rye anyway.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjim View Post
There are a lot of people out there that will recommend Blue/Rye mixtures with upwards of 30% rye. I was told by a very well know agronomist that if you are going to use 30% rye you might as well use all rye since no other grass can compete with that amount of rye and you will end up with all rye anyway.
I agree, go with the 100% rye in the spring, We dormant seed with 100% blue in the fall. Wish I had the stones to start working in TTTF but I am afraid of ending up with a patchwork field and will stick with what the field was done in originally.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I would personally use the KgB.Get as much Blue as possible. I would also treat my seed with Tazo from Terra-Max. It is a bacteria that will help the plant convert unuseable N, to useable. Great product, give it a look. Why use all- rye, it usually does not take the traffic. You can get some in the mix, but think longer term.