Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks JD!

It's not a bad setup. The truck is actually 2wd, and did way better in the 12.5" than I originally thought it would. Not too many inclines to actually deal with so that helps out a lot too.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spring Is Almost Here!

Supposed to get some comfortable temps finally around here this week, but that means the chance for rain also.

Been trying to get my spring cleanups accomplished, but it's either been too wet or too windy to move leaves around. Hopefully I can get them squeezed in this week along with spring fert and pre-emergence applications.

Here is some pics for fun. Took a trip last week to help my dad move a set of saddle tanks for spraying and a 1500 gallon water/nurse tank. We ended up taking them to a consignment auction. Below are some of the pics I took while we were there.

Averted disaster with my tiller head also. I took it apart to clean it and put fresh grease in the box. Turns out the bigger bearing towards the top was shot. Cheap fix, and I bypassed the dealer and went to Motion Industries to replace the bearings with a better quality bearing. Ultimately I'm glad I caught it as I probably can get another 2-3 years out of it before the worm gear and ring gear wear out.

Also picked up my old IH Die-Cast peddle tractor from home so my son can enjoy! I did a lot of farming on this thing growing up. Hopefully I get the time this summer clean and paint it to make it look new again. As far as I know, my dad still has a set of decals for it somewhere, so hopefully he can locate them.

He's already getting the hang of it.

Name:  Tractor1.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  365.0 KB

Equipment at the auction. My dad is looking for a Verti-Cutter like this one to help break open the soil in the spring without actually tilling it for no-till applications. He's had nothing but super wet springs the last couple of years, and he wants to be able to get in the fields faster.

Name:  Tractor2.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  300.3 KB

Name:  Tractor3.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  290.9 KB

Name:  Tractor4.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  290.2 KB

Look at that Brass gear shine! Luckily the lash between the worm gear and ring gear is still tight.

Name:  Tractor5.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  254.6 KB

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Getting ready for spring

Well I know you have had a long winter, so it will defiantly be nice to get out their and work on the lawns now. Our temperatures have been climbing steadily. We are topping the 60% mark now on a regular basis. I did most of my clean-up work for my clients in the fall. So any spring clean-up work I will be including in their first cut. It will just take a little longer, but I will be able to let half of my lawns go two weeks before the weekly mowing season begins. I look forward to seeing the work you do this year, hope this season is very successful for you. David
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
Well I know you have had a long winter, so it will defiantly be nice to get out their and work on the lawns now. Our temperatures have been climbing steadily. We are topping the 60% mark now on a regular basis. I did most of my clean-up work for my clients in the fall. So any spring clean-up work I will be including in their first cut. It will just take a little longer, but I will be able to let half of my lawns go two weeks before the weekly mowing season begins. I look forward to seeing the work you do this year, hope this season is very successful for you. David
Thank you, and you too! Hope the season goes well for everyone considering it's rough out there.

I've got a lot more little work lined up this year, and a couple of random installs. Hopefully the owner of the farm house will want to go ahead and put the hitching ledges in, but we'll see. They just got the Windmills up in that area and the view isn't quit what it used to be.........

Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
What materials did you use as a base for this wall. I am doing a very similar project and need to know what material to use.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Price View Post
What materials did you use as a base for this wall. I am doing a very similar project and need to know what material to use.
Because it is a natural stone wall, the base consisted of a 2-3 inch footer of type-S mortar with two sections of re-bar running the length of it.

While the mortar was still soft, I placed my my first course in it. After that I used more Type S-Mortar between each course, keeping the mortar towards the back 2/3rds of the course to give the appearance of a dry laid wall. The backside of the wall got about a 1-1.5 inches of mortar to help keep it in place.

The same method was used in this project too. The link below is the first posts to that project.

Beach

Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good Spring So Far.

Can't complain. A lot of little stuff to do that includes some lawn repairs, shaping up an old house in a historical district in Bloomington, lawn fert applications, a couple of small installs, and some random other busy work.

Ultimately I'm about 2.5 weeks ahead of where I have been the last two springs. Just the type of work and a bit of volume to get me through this transition period between snow and summer work.

I also want to thank everyone who has ever posted in this thread. I appreciate all the input and compliments on my work and what I do. And also thanks to the people who just follow my thread.

Regardless, have a great season everyone!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quick Install

One days worth of work over two days. Approx. 6 hours total. 1.5 tons of rock and dirt removed along with the old fabric.

There was also Sedum ground cover that was overtaking the beds and making a mess of it.

Hostas were split, thinned and moved, some silver mound and regular clumping Sedum were also salvaged.

No after pics yet, I will post them tomorrow.

Name:  dan1b.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  365.2 KB

Name:  Holl2b.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  327.8 KB

Name:  dan3b.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  350.3 KB

Name:  Holl1b.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  311.6 KB

Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

6= two days? that's like half a day for us...the design looks good. Not a fan of the spruce though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
6= two days? that's like half a day for us...the design looks good. Not a fan of the spruce though.
Posted via Mobile Device
I could have busted it out in one day, but we had some rain showers that slowed me down, and I squeezed in some other work too. Yes, agreed though, easy enough project to knock out quickly.

Got rid of the Spruce in the design, put in an Emerald Arb instead. Might become an issue height wise in about 20 years though.