Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look into snapper. They used to have a ztr with one control stick much like pilot controls on a skid steer. I used one once but didn't really like it but that was probably ten years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you looked at a mower that uses a Joy-stick? I've never used one but that should be easy enough on the shoulder.

http://www.countryclipper.com/
Old 03-12-2011, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had used one those joy stick Snappers about 12 years ago also. My dad got one after he saw how quick I was with a GrassHopper. That old Snapper with the joy stick was OK on the flats but sucked at inclines. Not sure that the newer Snapper Pros even offer the joy stick option anymore.

The Country Clipper brand has a couple of commercial mowers that have the joy stick control. One of these would get me by for the left shoulder but not when/if I have the right shoulder done.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They make some armrests that bolt on to the control levers, they are called shoulder savers or something like that. The weight of the arm rests on them and actually moves with the sticks, unlike regular armrests on the seat.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I had major rotator cuff surgery just before the start of the mowing season, in 2001.
I was back on the ZTR 10 days after surgery, but had to steer with one hand. After 2 weeks of rehab. therapy, I was using both armas again, but being very careful. My surgery was VERY major. No scope job, they had to slice my whole shoulder open. I would just adapt to what you have and get by for a few weeks until you heal up.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just got back from surgery. The pain block is nice. We'll see how i feel tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Possibly consider a front mount rear steer.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Gizmow

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
After a lot of time checking on the options, I ordered a Gizmow 61" mower today. I spoke with the factory the other day, and they are not currently being manufactured. But I found a dealer who says he can get one. It is supposed to get here next week. We'll see.

I did look at the Cub Cadet Z force S 60" residential model yesterday. The dealer did not have the commercial version. I liked the Cub, but was surprised to learn that it had no cruise control. And the foot pedal was stiff enough to be a problem for me.

So, call me crazy for ordering a mower that is no longer being manufactured. After reviewing the Gizmow parts manual (http://www.gizmow.com/manuals.htm), it looks to me like most of the parts are available from other sources. The exception would be the cams and other parts that make up the coupling between the steering and the hydraulics that control the rear wheels.

I am thinking about going ahead and ordering those parts and saving them for use later. Does that make sense? If so, I would appreciate any advice from Gizmow experts on just which parts would be worth ordering ahead of time.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCharlie View Post
After a lot of time checking on the options, I ordered a Gizmow 61" mower today. I spoke with the factory the other day, and they are not currently being manufactured. But I found a dealer who says he can get one. It is supposed to get here next week. We'll see.

I did look at the Cub Cadet Z force S 60" residential model yesterday. The dealer did not have the commercial version. I liked the Cub, but was surprised to learn that it had no cruise control. And the foot pedal was stiff enough to be a problem for me.

So, call me crazy for ordering a mower that is no longer being manufactured. After reviewing the Gizmow parts manual (http://www.gizmow.com/manuals.htm), it looks to me like most of the parts are available from other sources. The exception would be the cams and other parts that make up the coupling between the steering and the hydraulics that control the rear wheels.

I am thinking about going ahead and ordering those parts and saving them for use later. Does that make sense? If so, I would appreciate any advice from Gizmow experts on just which parts would be worth ordering ahead of time.

Thanks,
Charlie
Hey Charlie, congrats on the new mower! I saw those a few years back and thought they would be a great mower for someone with a lot of slopes to mow, or for someone who just wasn't comfortable with using "control sticks".

I didn't think about the "one arm" advantage at that time, but the mower looks like a "fix" for that problem as well.

Be sure and let us know how you like it when you get it, and then give us an update after using it a while.

I'm like you about the replacement parts. From what I saw the GizMow uses components that are commonly used on other mowers, so I wouldn't worry about that too much at all. Which engine did you get? (I don't remember what engine(s) were offered).

Stan (in Decatur AL)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Which engine did you get? (I don't remember what engine(s) were offered).

Stan (in Decatur AL)
I think it is supposed to have a 27 H.P. Kohler E/S. I haven't seen it yet. It's supposed to come next week.