Register free!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vendors

How well do your vendors treat you? Like royalty or just another account number? I've been pretty frustrated lately with one of mine. He's probably the most important, as we buy about 95% of our block and pavers from. They have had a rep these past couple years of producing block that is way out of tolerance and has no quality control, sometimes up to a 1/4 of an inch difference between two blocks. Every fall they make it sound like it's all going to be fixed, but never does.

The nice thing about this dealer is that he is less than a mile from our shop. Delivery is free in town, and reasonable everywhere else. The next closest reputable dealer is 45 minutes away. Delivery, and not to mention higher prices are what keeps me grinding block on each wall we build. Mention to them that you are thinking about going elsewhere, and they threaten to take away wholesale pricing from you.

Any thoughts or past experiences?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do they give you referrals???

Sub par materials for sub par contractors??

Or quality material for quality Contractors??

There. I just told you what to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Threaten to take your pricing away? I'd find somewhere else just because of that.
Leave 'em.
I use two main suppliers, both about an hour away in different directions. They know me by name (even recognize my voice on the phone), always return my calls quickly, and seem to really appreciate my business.
Delivery fee? It gets added to the total and in the big scheme of things is hardly noticable, well worth it for good service.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Again. This is like the 'How to compact a raised patio' thread.

If you go elsewhere and they raise prices. They're raising prices for an account that no longer exists!!! LOL

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

threaten to take your pricing away? in this economy a supplier cant be thinking straight to say something like that. to me 45 minutes isnt that bad a drive for better quality and service. we use three different vendors and all of them give referrals, bend over backwards and are very concerned with quality and making sure they are competitive. if they are lacking in any one of these at any time i bring it up and it gets addressed. otherwise they know the dollars will be going elsewhere.

i would bounce and start buying product from a couple new vendors. either your current vendor will straighten their **** out when they see you down the road or you'll be better off without them.