Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Suggestions for aquiring new clients.

Hello everyone,
Just want to say thanks for all the helpful and inspiring threads on here thus far. I have been involved in landscape construction for 4 years under another contractor. I have my ICPI certification and NCMA SRW. I have decided to start my own business but am having troubles explaining to clients my situation. They obviously want to see work i have done, but i do not want to show them pictures of jobs that were not mine. Yes i worked on them, but i was working for the contractor. Anyone else been in this situation? What did you do to overcome this obstacle? Any advice?

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if it is work you completed then it should be fine to take a picture and use it in a portfolio. just dont stretch it to be a patio picture on a job you did the irrigation. if you catch my drift.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestCreekLandscaping View Post
Hello everyone,
Just want to say thanks for all the helpful and inspiring threads on here thus far. I have been involved in landscape construction for 4 years under another contractor. I have my ICPI certification and NCMA SRW. I have decided to start my own business but am having troubles explaining to clients my situation. They obviously want to see work i have done, but i do not want to show them pictures of jobs that were not mine. Yes i worked on them, but i was working for the contractor. Anyone else been in this situation? What did you do to overcome this obstacle? Any advice?

Thank you in advance.
Its a tough situation to be in but first off your pricing will have to be much better than company b and c. I think alot of us have been in the exact same situation and in my case I had very good pricing which is what first attracted them to us, after that its all hard work, honesty and word of mouth. Today even more than yesterday (25yrs) people want to see pictures alot of them, back then you may of had a photo album with a couple of walkways you had done thats it nothing more. I could imagine it must be more difficult I'm sure now then it was then. Good luck, just stick with it and give the best you can. Always be honest even if you @%#up just be honest.