Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Kalama_Bonsai Kalama_Bonsai is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 3
Shindaiwa T261 spark plug wire broke

Aloha, everybody!

This is my first time in here and I'm not sure of my way around these parts, but here goes..

I have a Shindaiwa T261 trimmer that's a few years old now, and has been trouble free until yesterday. In the midst of a big job, she suddenly quit on me. I looked all over the machine. Gas? Check! Choke off? Check! When I looked at the spark plug cap, the wire was flappin' away. It looks like a clean break at the cap, with a bit of shearing on the rubber like cover.

I'm wondering... is this an easy replacement to do on my own, or should I take it in to the shop? I'm pretty good with tools, not the best, but at least I don't end up with "extra parts" after taking apart something.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--Mark
Kalama Bonsai
Maui, Hawaii
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 AM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,429
There are two possibilities. It has been years since I wrenched on anything Shindaiwa so I do not remember if the spark plug wire is fixed to the ignition coil or if it a detachable piece. But the wire and boot is what needs to be replaced. Please do not fool with improvised fixes, they do not hold up and there is nothing more uncomfortable, as well as dangerous than current leakage. You might need to buy the entire coil with wire and boot. Hope this helps. I suppose you are not in an area flooded by the tsunami last Friday.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM
saw n mow's Avatar
saw n mow saw n mow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 273
Have a look at the parts catalog here: http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/getatta...esf_020711.pdf

It appears that the coil and plug wire are one unit.

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,740
You will have a better luck posting this in the repair section.

link
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Kalama_Bonsai Kalama_Bonsai is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
There are two possibilities. It has been years since I wrenched on anything Shindaiwa so I do not remember if the spark plug wire is fixed to the ignition coil or if it a detachable piece. But the wire and boot is what needs to be replaced. Please do not fool with improvised fixes, they do not hold up and there is nothing more uncomfortable, as well as dangerous than current leakage. You might need to buy the entire coil with wire and boot. Hope this helps. I suppose you are not in an area flooded by the tsunami last Friday.
Aloha, Greendoctor! Yes, I'm in the Upcountry area of Maui, so we were not flooded by the tsunami. Nevertheless, the anxiety factor was still there.

Thanks for your advice!

-- Mark
Kalama Bonsai, Maui, Hawaii
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Kalama_Bonsai Kalama_Bonsai is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
Have a look at the parts catalog here: http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/getatta...esf_020711.pdf

It appears that the coil and plug wire are one unit.

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
You will have a better luck posting this in the repair section.

link
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Thanks, gentlemen! Looks like it's a job that I can do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Edge & Engine Edge & Engine is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cassadaga, NY
Posts: 31
There is a spark plug wire repair kit available, a good deal cheaper than a new coil.
http://www.edgeandengine.com/webstor...HI+22104-97800
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
betmr betmr is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 1,663
You can get a new plug wire end & boot from napa or most any auto parts store. just get the same type of boot as came off. slip the boot on, then install the metal end, pull the boot back over. that's it.....A couple-O-dollars.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.08824 seconds with 9 queries