Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure about all of them, but does it not get voltage from 12 volt on the trailer wire???? the same one that charges the electric brake break away battery???? I know my GMC with the factory tow package had no power to the plug from the dealer, found out you have to put in a fuse for that as it is not set up from the factory. not sure why, but it drove me nuts. Once I put in the fuse, bag, voltage and the batteries stay charged. I would check and see if that is they way it should work for you too. I do not currently have a dump trailer, and the one I use from time to time is not a factory type, and is a little... well, set up by an idiot. I would assume a factory setup would charge the deep cells automatic. I now it did on my old race trailer, and on the one I am building now it will. I know you have an anti drain on the break away bat, but other than that it is easy. I think the factory set up is good upto 40 amps, so that would recharge quickly driving around!!!!

Just a thought, let me know if that was it. I wonder if the the 2500 has the fuse from the factory, the 1500hd did not!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, just went out to look at it. On the driver side, remove the fuse cover. as you stand facing the driver side front tire with the hood open it will be directly in front of you. The fuse on the upper portion, stud #1*. It should have a redish dummy fuse in the spot with a B+ on it. Remove it and place in a 30 or 40 amp fuse like the 10 or so there. then, BAM, you have 12 volt power to the trailer, I bet it will recharge your batt... Try it, worst case 5 dollar fuse and no change!!! let us know if this helped, want to know if dump trailers will recharge this way!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I have 6.5 x 12 utility dump trailer and it takes power from the truck during dumping so far in 3 dump trailers I have to replace the battery about once every 2 years.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I havent read all posts yet:

I have 14 foot 14k dump and was getting 2 dumps per charge. Got a new battery last year and now get 6-7 per charge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had mine for about 6 years now and NEVER had any issues or problems with mine. Usually I only do 1 or 2 loads per day when I use my dumper but when I was hauling gravel with it for a buddy of mine I did 3 LARGE loads for him and my trailer worked everytime !!! Pretty hard grunt for the first foot and a half then she just powered up and pushed up with no issues. My trailer battery "trickle" charges off my truck and keeps it from going dead. Even in the winter it works good. As a matter of fact, I am still on my original battery and tires. Just this year, one weld broke on the lid to the hydrolics, and she gets a little rusty (but not bad) every spring. I just go around with a wire brush and knock all the loose paint off and touch it up with "rust" paint. It's a 5X10 tantem axle, that I put 2 foot sides on. Perfect size to get into tight areas yet big enough to haul a decent load with. Also works great for haulin firewood too!!!
Still the BEST thing I ever bought for my small company. I still get people talking to me at the dump EVERY time I use it !!! By the way, it's a PJ trailer.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

aounds like you need a new battery
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

We haul 4 face cord of firewood per load and we haul 10-12 loads before we charge with our Briar mar 10,000 GVW bumper pull. We have the largest battery that fits.