Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,738
Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Well I think it is about time for this and maybe the moderators can please sticky this?

It seems that it is about once a day a new member comes along and asks for advise on a ZTR, Tractor, mower or walkbehind for their property. I think this is the place to discuss and add info on machines that will fit peoples needs for their property all in one place. We can also start adding technical info and photos on the machines we are familiar. This will certainly help those that are searching for a mower and help them narrow down the search. Let's try and be polite and please "NO" brand bashing! Let's keep it mower and engine related. So to all those that can help, I am sure it will be appreciated to those searching for a new or used machine. Thanks!
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Michael J. Donovan's Avatar
Michael J. Donovan Michael J. Donovan is online now
Moderator, Online Communities
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,560
I agree and think we can stick this thread here for now...as was already said, please no "brand bashing", etc. and we should be all set
__________________
Michael J. Donovan, Sr.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Donovan View Post
I agree and think we can stick this thread here for now...as was already said, please no "brand bashing", etc. and we should be all set
Thanks Mike! So for any new members, feel free to ask any questions here! There are quite a few avid members here along with some pro's that stop by and can certainly help get you in the machine that is just right for your property.
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
damnfingers damnfingers is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Saucier, MS
Posts: 55
Exactly the type of information I was hoping to find here.

I'm a homeowner with approximately 1-1/4 acre to mow and a lot of the mowing is around raised flower beds, berms and trees. I'm rough on lawn tractors and have been through a Toro, a John Deere and a couple more over the last twenty or so years. I prefer a mulching deck and need something that can take care of oak tree and magnolia leaves.

I have about $5K I can spend but don't want to unless I have to. I've looked at Ferris, ExMark, Toro, Gravely, Ariens and a few others and I'm just as confused now as when I started looking. A 48" deck will be more than enough since I have a limited space in which to park it...also during VERY rainy weeks my yard get soft out front and hard to mow.

Given all that...what do the experts recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM
phscotty phscotty is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Princeton
Posts: 12
I'm also a homeowner with 1 1/4 acres of thick grass I mow two days per week. The rest of my 2.5 acres is prairie grass. I mow this in the spring. I live in Minnesota to give you an idea of the growing season. We have Ferris and Hustler dealers in the area. Both shops have a good reputation for parts and service. I been looking at the following......

Hustler Super Duty 25/54
Ferris 1500 52"
Ferris 2000 52"
What Hustler model is similar to the Ferris 2000?

I am very aware that most of the above listed machines are overkill for my situation. Your thoughts on the above listed machines would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfingers View Post
Exactly the type of information I was hoping to find here.

I'm a homeowner with approximately 1-1/4 acre to mow and a lot of the mowing is around raised flower beds, berms and trees. I'm rough on lawn tractors and have been through a Toro, a John Deere and a couple more over the last twenty or so years. I prefer a mulching deck and need something that can take care of oak tree and magnolia leaves.

I have about $5K I can spend but don't want to unless I have to. I've looked at Ferris, ExMark, Toro, Gravely, Ariens and a few others and I'm just as confused now as when I started looking. A 48" deck will be more than enough since I have a limited space in which to park it...also during VERY rainy weeks my yard get soft out front and hard to mow.

Given all that...what do the experts recommend?

Thanks in advance.
This is defiantly a Hustler Sport or BadBoy MZ candidate. These machines are built for an acre or so. both have upgraded engine choices. These machines will do the job and you could have one of these from about 3K-4K depending one engine choices and deck sizes. Defiantly a popular mower the past few years and more so now with better engine choices.

If you want to go a step further, I bought the Hustler superduty 19/42 and highly recommend!!! perfect mower for 1-2 acres, just a little on the small side. I previously owned a Hustler MiniFastrak and loved it. This is basically the same machine, but with a better engine and transmission. Another mower would be the Bad Boy ZT series good solid mower and still affordable in the high 4K range. I also shopped around the Bobcat Fastcat series and was pretty set on getting one. There is the Fastcat RZ and the Fastcat pro. I really liked the Fastcat pro and would suggest the Fastcat pro over the RZ. The RZ has the 2800 Hydro gear along with the Briggs professional series engines. The fastcat pro has the Kawasaki engines along with 3100 hydro gear transmissions. The Fastcat pro can be had for 5K. Bobcat mowers have a good reputation and allot of guys that use them in the biz swear by them. The Bobcat is worth a look if you have a dealer near by!
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 04-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by phscotty View Post
I'm also a homeowner with 1 1/4 acres of thick grass I mow two days per week. The rest of my 2.5 acres is prairie grass. I mow this in the spring. I live in Minnesota to give you an idea of the growing season. We have Ferris and Hustler dealers in the area. Both shops have a good reputation for parts and service. I been looking at the following......

Hustler Super Duty 25/54
Ferris 1500 52"
Ferris 2000 52"
What Hustler model is similar to the Ferris 2000?

I am very aware that most of the above listed machines are overkill for my situation. Your thoughts on the above listed machines would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is an active member on here that has a new Ferris IS500, he might stop in and give you a little info on the Ferris, he seems to know the lineup pretty well. I myself think that the Hustler 25/54 you mentioned is a great machine and would be a perfect fit for your needs. Hustler is one of the best mowers in the industry backed by a fantastic company. I just bought the superduty 19/42 and I am looking forward to using it. My second Hustler and nothing but good things to say!
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM
phscotty phscotty is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Princeton
Posts: 12
Capemay Eagle, thanks for the info. From what I've read it looks like the local deaer can give me an ok deal on a 2010 Hustler 25/54 Super Duty. The snow is finally gone and the grass will be growing soon. I have talked to the dealers and have demo rides set up as soon as the weather cooperates and the grass starts growing. Is the Hustler x-one a similar mower to the ferris is2000 other then the suspension ? I'm also interested in learning more about the icd and vx4 decks.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by phscotty View Post
Capemay Eagle, thanks for the info. From what I've read it looks like the local deaer can give me an ok deal on a 2010 Hustler 25/54 Super Duty. The snow is finally gone and the grass will be growing soon. I have talked to the dealers and have demo rides set up as soon as the weather cooperates and the grass starts growing. Is the Hustler x-one a similar mower to the ferris is2000 other then the suspension ? I'm also interested in learning more about the icd and vx4 decks.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you in Princton NJ? I am selling a BadBoy 42" CZT mower with 16hours. It is to big for my yard and I had to buy a smaller unit. I will make you a great deal. This is a commecial mower. This mower comes with a powerchute bagger. 7K invested I am asking 5K. I have not had it a year yet! The deck is a little smaller, but still a great machine at a great price!

That X one mower is going to cost you 10K! Way over kill
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 PM
phscotty phscotty is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Princeton
Posts: 12
Mn, nj would be a long drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.07599 seconds with 10 queries