Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A Little Nervous?

I have usually stuck to doing basic lawn maintenance and aerating. I do however have a talent for designing landscapes. I've taken college courses in botany, plant ID and some others several years ago so I know my plant material pretty well.

I have totally renovated and landscaped about 4 houses that I have lived in over the years and receive so many compliments from neighbors and passers by. Anyways, the point I'm getting to is that I was asked to give an estimate at a person’s house who heard I did landscaping. This is a TOTAL remake of a front yard and foundation of the home. I have been working on the design, plant material and estimate of time for a week now and just finished up. I meet with the potential customer soon to present my idea and price.

My question is; did any of you get a little nervous and kind of doubt yourself on your first big install project? I'm second guessing myself and thinking I'm charging too much and that maybe I'm in over my head. I know what needs to be done but just wondering if I'm in the same boat as others as far as feeling a little nervous.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always feel a little "nervous" when doing something for the first time or for a new client. As long as you know you're fair in your pricing, you're priced right for the job and believe in yourself and your capabilities, you should be fine.
I think butterflies are good at times, means you have a conscience.
Best wishes, now go LAND THAT JOB!!
(And of course we're going to require before and after pictures so don't try using that ole "I forgot the camera" excuse!)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im going through that too Ron. I have lots of experience landscping for other companies, but I have stuck to maintenance on my own so far. This year I am taking on some scaping accounts and I'm getting them a lot quicker than I thought I would. Although it's nice to see what I'm making, it has been stressful to take on this new task.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I guess some nervousness is a good thing then. If anything, I over estimated my time to allow for anything unexpected. I guess I could tell this to the potential customer that I keep track of my time and the total could always be lower but not higher then what I will be presenting. Is that a good idea or just not say anything at all like that?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

i just tell them its an estimate not a quote it could be lower or even a little higher depending on what goes on the job, and make sure you tell them anything added on after the estimate will be extra ive had people try to add small things after for no extra charge
Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman88 View Post
i just tell them its an estimate not a quote it could be lower or even a little higher depending on what goes on the job, and make sure you tell them anything added on after the estimate will be extra ive had people try to add small things after for no extra charge
Good idea, thanks for replying.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, let me try again. The meeting was canceled shortly after I posted and is reset for today. Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted if I get the job.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
I always feel a little "nervous" when doing something for the first time or for a new client. As long as you know you're fair in your pricing, you're priced right for the job and believe in yourself and your capabilities, you should be fine.
I think butterflies are good at times, means you have a conscience.
Best wishes, now go LAND THAT JOB!!
(And of course we're going to require before and after pictures so don't try using that ole "I forgot the camera" excuse!)
Just an update, I got an email yesterday and they accepted my proposal! I am excited! They want to wait until August to start which is fine with me. This is the first time I have drawn and planned a total renovation and I got accepted. Had to share it.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

congrats !!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Way to go.