Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should have been more specific. Most of my lawns are 2500 sq ft to 8500 sq ft. As far as selling the higher plug count, it sells itself. People see what it does and don't ask questions. I'm not going to say it pulls the deepest plugs in the world, but the TRUE average plug depth is 2"-2.5". You'll get some that are 3" and some just under 2". This is much better than what I see the rolling tine units doing in the same area. It may not be faster and it may cost more to replace tines, but the benefits are more than worth it.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
The LS does pull plugs but not a ton of them like the Plugrs do.Soil conditions seem to make a big difference with the LS 21" aerifier if it will pulls plugs or not.It pokes plenty of holes but you won't always see alot of plugs on top of the grass.Some custs care about seeing plugs some don't .The LS machine is very easy on the operator while aerating compared to most machines on the market .And aerating in reverse is a big plus as it saves you from lifting the tines out of the ground every time you go to back up.
This is not the case her'e on new england soils. My lawn solutions wb pulls a lot of plugs. No need to make a second pass.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Plugr 85X has a tremendous visual impact. The Plugrs eject the plugs on the top of the grass. If people are skeptical they are believers typically deliver after the fact. I have had several complaints about showing up with the LS WB where as even 2 years prior I showed up my Plugr 850. Last year was my first year with the Lawn Solutions machine and I was frankly puzzled on how charge or market differently? Generally if it was new customer I'd run the LS aerator, but I did find myself overlapping quite bit for my own satisfaction. This took longer but I was not used to the more passive plug effect of the using a rolling tine machine.

It true David's WB and the stander pull the TIGHTEST pattern of WB or Stand on rolling tine aerator. 3.5" x 6". Some of the Ryan's tow behinds can be set up with additional tines with a very dense pattern.

In my marketing I do play the card of 17% more plugs with the Lawn Solutions 21" WB as a competitive advantage over the other Ryan, Bluebirds, Classens, Turfco's etc. This is a notable difference.

The difference between rolling tine and reciprocating are dramatic. I'm playing on this heavily this year with my marketing. It is true the LS WB will pull deeper plugs in the right conditions but over all I find the Plugr Hydros to be more versatile but it has a high fiddle factor. Some of these issues have been addressed with the new 855.

This season I'm pricing my Plugr 850 aerations @ 15% more than the LS aerations. Time will tell.

Speaking of....need to run the the welding shop and take Plugr #1 for a rear frame weld repair.

I'm still waiting on those free Plugr tines for life....ok even wholesale would be good...I go through them quickly.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't use a machine that spikes the grass. That is counterproductive in my opinion. It is punching a hole, and the sides of that hole are compacted.

One of the benefits of proper aeration is the alleviation of compaction

I recommend pulling your plugs!....

they decompose, the roots get more oxygen and you
stress the lawn less

We have a Husqvarna with a 4 hp Honda engine. It's the best because it is orange.

64 tines, chain driven and it goes one direction only...and will go through gardens
and fences too. It weighs too much for one guy to lift, but two can get it up onto
the tailgate of a pick-up truck.

For small yards in the hoa's etc. it is more practical for us to use a three tine shovel type aerator. Some of those tiny grass areas can be up ten stairs and are only three feet by nine feet or smaller.
They go to school to become landscape architects, you know?