Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Left rear trailer light short?

I have a 5x10 open utility trailer with no trailer brakes that I purchased brand new not even 2 years ago. Its kept dry in a storage facility and has only been rained on maybe 2 or 3 times. Around August of last year I was dropping my trailer off in storage and I told my worker to unhook everything and we had a miscommunication and I thought he said to go and the 4pin trailer wiring was still connected and ripped off the 4 pin plug at the end of the trailer. I went to the shop where I bought the trailer from and they re-attached a new plug to the existing wires and everything was working fine.

Friday I noticed that the left rear light comes on as soon as you hit the brakes but then goes right back off. Like if I were to hold my brakes for 10secs it would only illuminate for a half a second and go back off. The blinker comes on to but for a very short time and goes right back off. The tail lamps work when I turn on the lights and the right rear tail light works fine as well as the right blinker. I replaced the light bulb in the left rear light and its still doing the same thing.

Does this mean I have a short in one of my wires?

And if i do have a short how can I diagnose it and fix it?
pdqlandscaping@gmail.com
Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

what truck are you pulling it with? no message>>
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

2005 Toyota Tacoma. All the brake lights and blinkers work fine on the truck. And I'm using a universal "T" 4 pin connector that is connected behind the tail lights. I also regularly clean and grease the connections with di-electric grease
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds like a short. my guess is the truck has separate circuits for left and right brake/turn lights, and those circuits are protected by breakers instead of fuses (hence the work/dont work, instead of just blowing the fuse and not working). when the company installed the new plug how was it attached? soldered, splice connectors, twist and tape? Have you checked the plug at the truck where the trailer wiring pigtail is tapped in? try unplugging the trailer and using a test light to see if it still does it. the you will know if its in the truck or trailer wiring. good thing its not a new dodge cause that can get pricey real quick.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm guessing When they installed the new 4 pin connector it was a twist and tape. The reason I'm saying this is because it is wrapped up in black electrical tape and it took less than 10mins to fix. And I'm pretty sure I read online somewhere that Toyota does use a separate breaker in my truck, that way it doesn't blow any fuses elsewhere. And I looked at the "T" connector wiring on the truck and it looks fine but that doesn't mean there could be a problem in the wiring. But my first guess is where the trailer shop fixed it from the last time it broke and one of the wire connections came loose. I will get a test light and check all the individual wires. I have never used a test light before so I will ask the auto parts store tomorrow how to use it when I purchase it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

sorry I havent been back with you. any updates on your problem?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I took it to the place where I bought the trailer because they said they would look at it for free. It worked perfectly fine when I went up there and has worked every time since. Whenever I hook up the trailer I always check both blinkers, tail lights, and brake lights. No problens YET. But if I do run into any more problems I will take it back up there and post my results up here.
Posted via Mobile Device