Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
As a company that started 5 years ago, and 2 years ago was my first year with employees, I would suggest not to just make rules just for the sake of having rules. The people you hire, you should feel they are decent people that will not cheat you. I have about 20 rules now, and all of them were made because of things that happened that I did not like.

Until you have an issue, there is no need for random rules in my opinion. Think about when you were an employee, and the first thing you had to read when you started was a whole bunch of things you cant do. How demoralizing.
im more worried if a guy is dragging feet. there are steps that must be taken properly or they can file for wrongful termination and collect on your dime. just thinking ahead. all they need to do is read it, sign it, then put it away incase there is ever an issue.

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know here in WI you can't take anything off a employee's paycheck unless there is a court order for it (wage garnishing)

But what you can do as punishment, warning system (starts with a verbel warning, then a writen warning, then termination)

Non-paid time off, this works great for infractions. You can't mess with someones pay directly but if are forced to take 3 days off for the week non paid. It can hurt the pocket book. In the mean time find a new helper to fill in for him, so when he comes back he see's that he might loss his job.

I'm big on the 90 day probation period as well.

A new thing that my boss is going to try this year, I know me and the super are going to still have our jobs because we've been there the longest. Even with me having my own business on the side, he doesn't mind (he chases commerical/municpal only while I just take on residental side).

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercuts View Post
im more worried if a guy is dragging feet. there are steps that must be taken properly or they can file for wrongful termination and collect on your dime. just thinking ahead. all they need to do is read it, sign it, then put it away incase there is ever an issue.
I have a little more faith in the legal system that that. Sure you hear about freak things all the time. But when I hire an employee, I screen them and pay them well. I'm not looking for just anyone, I look for the right guys.
If someone is not working out, I let them know I'm not happy. If it does not get corrected, I fire them. I don't waste anytime messing around with written warnings or anything.

Also, there is one day that I did not pay an employee for. He blew out the engine on a truck because he was being careless with it AND everything else he did that day I got complaints about. He was only working for me for 2 weeks. New engine was installed for $3,500. I told him that I did not even feel like I wanted to pay him for the day because of all the crap he pulled that day. He told me that was fair. Fired him, did not pay him for the day.

That is really the only REALLY bad experience I have ever had with an employee. If you screen people well, and you hire honest people (I know, easier said then done) and you appreciate your people and treat them well, I don't think you will have to worry about anyone trying to run you over.

And, if I ever do, I will have plenty of character witnesses, that it will be dropped.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I would like a copy as well. john@gllawncare.com
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I have a little more faith in the legal system that that. Sure you hear about freak things all the time. But when I hire an employee, I screen them and pay them well. I'm not looking for just anyone, I look for the right guys.
If someone is not working out, I let them know I'm not happy. If it does not get corrected, I fire them. I don't waste anytime messing around with written warnings or anything.

Also, there is one day that I did not pay an employee for. He blew out the engine on a truck because he was being careless with it AND everything else he did that day I got complaints about. He was only working for me for 2 weeks. New engine was installed for $3,500. I told him that I did not even feel like I wanted to pay him for the day because of all the crap he pulled that day. He told me that was fair. Fired him, did not pay him for the day.

That is really the only REALLY bad experience I have ever had with an employee. If you screen people well, and you hire honest people (I know, easier said then done) and you appreciate your people and treat them well, I don't think you will have to worry about anyone trying to run you over.

And, if I ever do, I will have plenty of character witnesses, that it will be dropped.
To prevent wrongful termination or to help your case if it does go that far is to have something documented, thus a writen warning that is signed and dated. Thus if they pull that same mistake again you have the reason to fire them.

From your point of veiw, I can see why you canned him right away. But not paying him you got lucky. If you break it down even if he did take you to court over 1 days pay wouldn't be worth it. He'd be paying more towards the court to have them open a case then what the one day is worth, let alone a lawyer as well (they don't work for $10/hr).

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 05-08-2010, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Still waiting for the copy.....
Old 05-09-2010, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
As a company that started 5 years ago, and 2 years ago was my first year with employees, I would suggest not to just make rules just for the sake of having rules. The people you hire, you should feel they are decent people that will not cheat you. I have about 20 rules now, and all of them were made because of things that happened that I did not like.

Until you have an issue, there is no need for random rules in my opinion. Think about when you were an employee, and the first thing you had to read when you started was a whole bunch of things you cant do. How demoralizing.
Smaller companies profits are driven by people, large companies profits are driven by processes. I agree that rules without teeth mean nothing but documented rules or processes can let employees know how to be successful within your organization.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi: My name is Chi Chi and I am just starting a lawn care business (small) I am having trouble finding an employee handbook, could you share what u have? I will be thankful forever,,,, my email is cindyweil63@yahoo.com. By the way I saw ur post on lawnsite.com

Thanks bunches!!