Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

What Gravely zero turn Should I get?

Look into starting a lawn service Here in Florida,I have a Gravely dealer just five minutes away. next closest dealer is 30 minutes away,so gravely is looking pretty good to me. Now!!! which one should I get? I want to be able to get thru gates So I been looking at the compact pro 34 for $5,699. gravely also has a new zt hd 44 that just came out for $4,699.This unit I think would go thru 48 inch gates,which it looks like most people have down here. Sure would like to go with the zt hd 44,Its seem to be big enough to do larger accounts a still sneek in the larger gates at a good price.
Sure would like to here from some Gravely riders on the zt hd series. They seem to be built just as good as the compact pro series, accept for the 10 gauge deck and engine.

thanks Mike
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Gravely Compact pro 44 and I'm glad that I got the compact. I just started cutting a church and their cemetery and the 44 is perfect for getting inbetween headstones. I was also looking at the zt hd models, but the dealer pursuaded me to go to the commercial series and I'm glad I did. If I get really busy, I know that I have a mower that will stand up to the use. I got mine for $6000 out the door.

Gravely and Stihl
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally I don't like gravely mowers. I'm in college and I work at the turfgrass research farm here at UT and they use gravelys to mow around the plots and I just don't like the way run. In my opinion I would go with scag anyday.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I here that Scags are great machine, and my dealer sells them to. But not direct,he gets them from a middle man. And the prices are to high for my price range.looking at spending around $8,000 for everything I need to get started. I did take a compact pro 44 and a Scag Freedom for a test ride, I like the compact pro feel better. Felt like I was sitting on the floor with the Scag,and it was alittle harder to get off it.I'm not getting any younger unfortunatly!
As far as the the differents between the Compact pro 44 and zt hd 44 is the engine and deck. The zt hd has a 22hp fr kaw and the pro has a 20 hp fx kawasaki industrial engine.And the deck is 10 gauge to 7 gauge on the pro. I guess the question is? Is that industrial engine and extra 1/16 of a inch of steal on the deck worth a extra $1300 dollars?

Did you ever try going thru 48 inch gates with that compact pro 44?

Thanks mike
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Transmission on the Compact Pro is a ZT5400 vs ZT3100 on the HD also. Another consideration maybe? I have had one of those stamped decks 42" Doesn't take long to see why that extra metal is nice to have and how easy you can bend a stamped deck. Not to mention rollers getting knocked out of line.
Just my .02
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

hi Popeye
The dealer had a zt hd52 and a compact pro 44 in the store. They both had the zt3100 trany in them.I was going back and forth checking everying thing.Frame thickness and every part on them.Besides the rear bumper and paint color which is minor.Those two machine are identicle Minus the engine and thickness of the deck.If the deck on the zt hd was a cheap thin steal stamped deck! I wouldnt even be looking at it. But from what I see..it looks like the pro has 3/16'' steel shell and 5/8'' thick framing. and the zt hd uses 1/8''steel shell and 1/2''thick framing.I think the deck is pretty tuff compared to a stamped deck.But I am new to this... and I am really getting confused.I am not the guy that needs the best biggest or the baddest machine.I am willing to pay more for something that will last over something that wont.Anyways i am putting accouples links of the two engine on here to compare.
So if anyone has had bad luck in the past or present with 10 gauge decks cracking or bending or knows alot on different kawasaki engines.Sure would like to here from you.
ZT HD 44 engine
http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detai...d=37&cat_id=11

Compact pro 44 engine
http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detai...id=48&cat_id=5
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Graveley's website leaves something to be desired. The way they have their specs listed it looked liked the pro had a zt5400. When i was shopping for the one i just bought to replace the ztr i had my first stop was going to be a Gravely dealer. My uncle has one and I like his machine. Unfortunately the nearest Gravely dealer is 30 miles from here. The FS Kaw is a residential motor. The FX is a commercial engine. My Snapper Pro has a welded deck,FX 20hp, and a ZT3100 tranny. Love it, last one I will ever own unless I decide to get a larger deck. You can stand on the deck of this one with no problem. My old one with the stamped deck you had to be careful getting off of it to clear the deck.PITA
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I dove face first into to lawning Business today! The local dealer wouldnt budge one the price for the compact pro 34 $5700.And I didnt want to spend $6000 on the compact pro 44 which I think would be perfect for me.So I called a dealer 45 miles away and asked him on a price for a compact pro 34.He shot back with $5200.Now that is a fair deal to me! So I drove down to Ormand witch is around 20 mile away.And I was going to pick up a 5x10 open trailer.And if I had time I was going to burn over and pick up that compact pro 34.Well by the time I left the trailer place... I had a lark 6x10 enclosed V nose Trailer about the same color as my truck for 2,231 on order.So I had no trailer to pick up the pro 34.So I went to A gravely dealer in Ormand,to see what price he would give me on th pro34.I was there before and he was alittle more exspensive then my local dealer in town on the zt hd series,so I wasnt exspecting much.I ended up walking out of there with a compact pro 44 for $5200 and will be delivered tomarrow. What a weird Day!!!
Of coarse all prices not including taxes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just proves sometimes something goes right?? Not often but sometimes. Good Luck to you in your new business. May they all pay on time and never complain!!! Oh and lots of them.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Popeye I'll post a pic of it if figure out how to!

Tags
gravely , starting out , zt hd