Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2003, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Should I get it?

I found a truck forsale that has been sitting for year...it needs a but of work about 300 dollars worth but it looks to be in decent shape. It will need tires in 5K miles or so. Its a mid to late 80's GMC with a large V-8 motor....long bed 4-door model. low 100K miles engine runs strong and interior is in good shape what do you think ?? the guy is asking 400 bucks. I wanted to get the truck to start up another mowing crew . Not to keen on them using my F-350 powerstroke.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks can be deceiving and if your not 100% sure about purchasing the truck then take it to a reputable mechanic and have him look it over. He should be able to put it on a lift, check it out, let you know if it will or will not pass a state safety inspection, and tell you what it needs. Theres probably a reason the truck is only $300.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Id go for it . Its worth way more then $400 in parts if its not rusty. so if it turns out to be a heap sell it for parts JMHO
Old 04-16-2003, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harry I checked under it and it has a oil leak...nothing major its what I expected for a vehicle nearly 20 years old. The truck hasent been turned over in 8 months because it has been blocked in by other vehicles. The guy gave me a key to see if it would crank and it turned over on the third try and ran pretty smooth & no smoke. I just have to get the trans rebuilt ( I have a friend of the family that does it for $300 bucks)