Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Member

This year I am totally out except for one lawn that pays ungodly amounts of money for 45 mins worth of work. Done the mowing/landscaping/irrigation then last few years part time with a job with a major mower company testing them. I know for a fact will miss the industry but well it is time to head off to different paths.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagmower48 View Post
Started in high school when I was 17. Thought I would do this part time for the next 20 years or so and get a full time job. Went to college, business grew alot and then I started going to college for Hort. Wished I never went to college in the first place. College is holding me back big time. The only reason I stay is because im like 80% through.
Ain't that the truth. I did lawn care/landscaping as a teenager and young man. I did it all and enjoyed turning something from crap into something nic e and enjoyable. Then everyone pushed me to go to college and said I needed a real job. Well I did that and only problem is that college is a scam and there ain't know real good jobs left. Sure there are some but you know how many people got degrees compared to availiable good jobs. Too many to count. So I went back to my roots and never looked back. I think alot of people really need to consider whether college is worth it in this country where more good jobs are lost everyday.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagmower48 View Post
Started in high school when I was 17. Thought I would do this part time for the next 20 years or so and get a full time job. Went to college, business grew alot and then I started going to college for Hort. Wished I never went to college in the first place. College is holding me back big time. The only reason I stay is because im like 80% through.
I guess what best sums up my situation is, "I am business man, that is cutting grass" It would be was in my case. I am a business man before I was a lawncare operator. If that makes any sense.
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a sophomore right now. Going for a masters in accounting currently. I have one full time employee that does most the work; I help out on Fridays. Figured I would sell the business when I get out and buy a big ass boat with the money. But hell, you never know, a lot can change in 3 years...
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ones that are full time,one question ? Are you able to put away 20% of what you make into a retirement account ? And never touch it ?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf landscape View Post
I'm a sophomore right now. Going for a masters in accounting currently. I have one full time employee that does most the work; I help out on Fridays. Figured I would sell the business when I get out and buy a big ass boat with the money. But hell, you never know, a lot can change in 3 years...

I'm an accounting major as well, a year away from a bachelor's.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not saying going to college is a waste of time, it is for me in my particular situation. Most jobs require a college education and that is fine, its just that college did/does not help me out at all. It just bought me a little time when I did not have the kind of work that I do now.

After this term I am 8 classes away from earning a A.S. in Business and an A.S. in Horticulture. So far if you took all the practical things that have helped me out in college I should have only gone to class for like 30 minutes one time in the past three years.

I wish the OP luck with his future endevours. running your business before u went to college already puts u on top of your class and beyond.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
The ones that are full time,one question ? Are you able to put away 20% of what you make into a retirement account ? And never touch it ?
20% is a bit much. 12-15% should be fine. I plan on at least putting that much away, otherwise I would not even think about doing this for a living.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
Ya If I choose to put that much away. Good point though. My wife has a 6%company match that we utilize. I never have been much of a stock guy as I feel alot of insider trading occurs, but I do have some in a traditional 401K. Most of my investments are in real estate rentals. I have a construction backround and use to fix up and sell houses. That is where I put most of my retirement. My next aquisition will be an apartment complex which I eventually will retire with and use the cashflow to live off of.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

real estate is usually pretty good especially if you can maintain them yourself.Wish i did that years ago but didn't.I do realize though that not many of my bills are not going to change when I retire.I have never had a mortgage,just a short term loan while building.My biggest bill is my property and school tax.I really do not plan on leaving my place since it is what I've always wanted.A 100 acre property just 10 miles from middle of city but right on excellent hunting ground.Also the state snowmobile trail goes through a corner of it and last hut not least good atv trails and trapping ground.So other than phone,taxes,food , electric my bills will stay the same when retired.I want to travel so I will basically need my regular check.And lets not forget spending money on grandkids in the future. LOL

Tags
business , selling , sold