Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
I just tell them "If you're that good, when I'm ready to hire you I can just type 'SEO company' into Google, click the top result, and get you. Right?"
I will make sure to tell him something like that next time they call me lol. I will have a good laugh
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually I just type "SEO" on google to find out wikipedia was #1 (after the ads) so funny lol
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

True. But that guy in the #3 spot is making some SERIOUS money!

www.SEO.com - tell me there aren't a million SEO guys out there who are pissed they didn't grab that URL early. Check out the companies this outfit has worked for. It's like a who's who list of Fortune 500 companies.

Goes to prove; you don't really even have to be #1. You just have the be the first relevant search result. Someone looking to hire an SEO expert isn't probably going to click on the first two results. So that guy still basically has the #1 position.

Also, Google threw themselves into the #2 spot. Tell me there wasn't a little inside "manipulation" there.

p.s. Mario, I love your idea! SEO for keywords "Wrong message at the wrong time." LOL. That's hilarious.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

We hired one for a year or so, absolutely no results. We hired a new one this year, and we are dominating for all of our services...first page results for our metro area, as well as by major cities. We are already top ranked for many searches. You can get burned, but it can also work VERY well. For every real SEO firm, there are probably ten times as many quacks.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Well, that's a little unfair. Just because they can't get to the top of Google for an extremely broad search term like "SEO Company" doesn't mean they aren't great at getting your company to the top for "St. Paul, MN Lawn Care". It's 100x easier to do the latter. Next to impossible to do the former.
Jim. Obviously I'm not entirely serious, it's just my way of having a little more fun with them than just hanging up. My point is more that when I decide to hire an SEO firm I will do research and get recommendations and approach it cautiously. I'm not some rube who's going to say "wow, ruling the Google sounds neat! Do you take Visa?" For what these firms charge, I want a demonstrated track record of results. And not just eyeballs, but conversions. I don't need my ego stroked with inflated traffic numbers.

SEO is one of those things that is either done wrong and quickly, with possible very bad consequences, or it's done right as part of a campaign of long-haul tactics and site management. I would expect the latter to market in trade publications and via word of mouth; I expect that those hiring a boiler room full of telemarketers are doing a crap job.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
SEO is one of those things that is either done wrong and quickly, with possible very bad consequences, or it's done right as part of a campaign of long-haul tactics and site management.
Well said. Exactly how we feel.