Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrassisgreener View Post
StihlMechanic,
I was just curious about your pricing to confirm I wasn't misunderstanding the price per square foot, because I didn't realize that overseeding with a slit overseeder was so lucrative. $0.45 per sq. ft. @ 10,000 sq. ft. = $4,500. Do you do a lot of seeding jobs?
Its cheaper that sodding at .45 sq ft. To answer your question, no, not that large of a property, yet anyways. Largest so for was close to 4000 sq ft of turf. It good profit I guess.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you use a quality grass seed mix. Up here we call it "grade one"

Grass seed usually has at least three different families of grass in the mix, here.
That way if one family gets a disease and dies out, the others will take its place.
I believe they do the same with wheat farming and potatoes

It sounds like you have researched your project.
Some-one mentioned what if another company comes in after you and sprays....
You better find out from the client and/or put a disclaimer into your contract.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrassisgreener View Post
StihlMechanic,
I was just curious about your pricing to confirm I wasn't misunderstanding the price per square foot, because I didn't realize that overseeding with a slit overseeder was so lucrative. $0.45 per sq. ft. @ 10,000 sq. ft. = $4,500. Do you do a lot of seeding jobs?
I think he means .045 or I'm moving and only doing slit seeding.

too much equipment to list
Old 04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
Im pretty sure its right around 10,000 sq ft. I figured it would probably cost me around $50 in fuel and supply costs and be no more than a 2hr job. I figured I would price around $40 for dethatching and raking, and another $40 for applying fert and seed, and about $50 for my expenses. I was only going to apply with a rotarty seeder and not a slit seeder. Does this sound about right or lowball category?
sounds to cheap bud. Even though the lawn might look thin i can tell you that you will get a lot more thatch then you think. Pictures might help as well. Are you renting the machine or do you own it? How are you picking the thatch up? hopefully bagging it with your mower. Do you have to take the dead grass away? Plus i always use more seed then what is recommended. When we do dethatching here my min is $125.00 for your typical 5k yard and does not include seed. Don't sell yourself short man, i mean after all you wanna make money right? After all you do have to pay your brother too.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar lawn View Post
sounds to cheap bud. Even though the lawn might look thin i can tell you that you will get a lot more thatch then you think. Pictures might help as well. Are you renting the machine or do you own it? How are you picking the thatch up? hopefully bagging it with your mower. Do you have to take the dead grass away? Plus i always use more seed then what is recommended. When we do dethatching here my min is $125.00 for your typical 5k yard and does not include seed. Don't sell yourself short man, i mean after all you wanna make money right? After all you do have to pay your brother too.
Ya you guys are definatley all right. Even though its a little under 1/4 acre I figured seed and starter fert alone will cost me about $100. I was planning on using a john deere dethatcher pulled behind a lawn tractor. Its worked well for me in the past. I would just bag everything with my walk behind and then overseed and use starter fert. I was planning on using a pennington mixture of mostly rye, with fescue and bluegrass; and a lesco starter fert. Just curious on your opinions of these. I still figure about 2 hrs for the job but figured I would charge at least $250. Do you still think this sounds low or about right? Also, how much straw do you guys normally put down for overseeding?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Any input would be great
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

What area of jersey are you in if you dont mind me asking? Its tough sometimes to get grass growing in the south jersey sand .
Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Im working on pricing a overseeding job now . I have a minimum price of 18 cents per square foot. My problem is its a relitive im pricing it for and the price is in the area of $1200 . Think they will pay for it lol ... probably not stinkin relatives
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman222 View Post
What area of jersey are you in if you dont mind me asking? Its tough sometimes to get grass growing in the south jersey sand .
Im in north jersey. The problem with this guys lawn is it's a fairly new house so the grass seems like it is just contractor grade with complete bare patches scattered throughout. Theres also small rocks and little pieces of asphalt throughout the lawn which might make it harder for seed to grow in. Whats the best way to go about getting nice thick grass to grow? Do you think the steps I had listed before are going to be sufficient?