Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Elaine has spread controversy her entire career, starting when she called out Monsanto on not disclosing some studies on a GMO product. That being said, she has a lot to offer from her extensive work on soil microbiology. I'm neither condoning or condemning her practices, I don't know enough to judge.
She is worth hearing. As far as speaker fees, we have paid several speakers to talk at our seminars. How we do so is confidential.

Her knee is bad enough that she is unable to drive and has a crutch. She limped around the room without the crutch, but I'll bet she was hurting the next day.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Elaine has spread controversy her entire career, starting when she called out Monsanto on not disclosing some studies on a GMO product. That being said, she has a lot to offer from her extensive work on soil microbiology. I'm neither condoning or condemning her practices, I don't know enough to judge.
She is worth hearing. As far as speaker fees, we have paid several speakers to talk at our seminars. How we do so is confidential.

Her knee is bad enough that she is unable to drive and has a crutch. She limped around the room without the crutch, but I'll bet she was hurting the next day.
At no time was I questioning who or how you pay Barry. That is entirely your business. When I previously spoke or worked while engaged by a charity, money earned went to the charity.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilson View Post
At no time was I questioning who or how you pay Barry.
Tim, I didn't think you did.
I understand you have differences with Elaine and respect your reasons for them. I would gladly have you give a presentation here, but I couldn't cover your travel costs.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Tim, I didn't think you did.
I understand you have differences with Elaine and respect your reasons for them. I would gladly have you give a presentation here, but I couldn't cover your travel costs.
Just to be clear, I think Elaine gives a great talk and as I've stated previously has a much greater depth of general knowledge than I. My ONLY issue here is as I've stated and as Tad has noted.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
I wasn't speaking to conflict of interest, just drinking the Dr E coolaid of testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing testing

if it works and it fits into your business plan use it, if not throw it out
To be clear, I do place a high value in testing. I think it's essential in our industry because so many people out there are selling crap without ever knowing if it's aerobic or biologically active.

I place more value on education and microscope testing though, rather than a lab test from a facility that's many miles away, after a tea has been sitting in the mail for 24 hours.

Tim's already brought up issues with the way SFI evaluates protozoa in their tea tests.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhussey View Post
To be clear, I do place a high value in testing. I think it's essential in our industry because so many people out there are selling crap without ever knowing if it's aerobic or biologically active.

I place more value on education and microscope testing though, rather than a lab test from a facility that's many miles away, after a tea has been sitting in the mail for 24 hours.

Tim's already brought up issues with the way SFI evaluates protozoa in their tea tests.
Right you are. I was not really including self-microscopy examination as testing. (However this was not the topic I was raising).