Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoMower View Post
We dictate what areas we will serve and what services we want to do. We only do snow and lawn for these companies. Yes, the photos/paperwork is a pain but they fit into our routes and pay the going rate.
Enlighten us as to what companies those might be.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassesGuy View Post
Enlighten us as to what companies those might be.
We work with two currently. 5 Bros. and Cyprexx
Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the one that contacted me was rdj . anyone heard of them? any info? i heard safeguard is good to work for?
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

property preservation

I can only tell you to shop yourself around man. I have had offers all over the map as far as pricing from 45 per lawn which I love, to 30 which is the bulk. I have had guys offer 25 and 20 for recuts and 20 and 15 also. I just laughed at these guys and said when your ready to pay the going rates for a fully licensed contractor properly, then call me back. I have to pay two guys and myself at the end of the day for uploading the pictures, etc.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
We dictate what areas we will serve and what services we want to do.
Exactly.

Honestly, I've marketed myself as a full-service entity. LCO work is about 20% of my business. And, there isn't much I turn down. If my pricing falls within the guidelines for the lending institution, I do it. If I think the price they're offering isn't enough for me to take the work, I submit a higher proposal. They can either take it or leave it. Most times, they accept.

I don't have to show photo evidence of lawn maintenance. Most work does require photos to be submitted, though. Big deal.

The companies some of you are mentioning are not who I work for. They are my competitors.

Quote:
I have had guys offer 25 and 20 for recuts and 20 and 15 also.
LOL....I hear ya. I had a guy contact me, offering me 20 and 15. I sent him back a reply and said...."I'll tell ya what....how about I pay YOU $30 to mow mine!.....and hey...no photos!".

I don't expect to hear back from him.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Run! I did it for 4 years. what a setback and a waste of time. Jungle, needles, crack pipes...
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

DO NOT WORK FOR SAFEGUARD! THEY WILL WORK THE HELL OUT OF YOU AND NOT PAY YOU. I've been doing REO properties for two years. It all depends on what company you work for. I only deal with Five Brothers, LAMCO and Cyprexx. All three of this company can be a pain in the ass but they pay on time. Cyprexx is real pain in the ass because they want you to do everything for the little money they pay but they will give you a lot of work. Five Brothers and LAMCO pay much higher than Cyprexx. You don't have to do trash outs and lock changes if you don't want to and you can tell them what area's you serve. With gas prices going up so quickly I try to be very selective on the distance I travel. Do not deal with Property Preservation work off of Craigslist. They will offer you $15-$25 a lawn.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedmack View Post
DO NOT WORK FOR SAFEGUARD! THEY WILL WORK THE HELL OUT OF YOU AND NOT PAY YOU. I've been doing REO properties for two years. It all depends on what company you work for. I only deal with Five Brothers, LAMCO and Cyprexx. All three of this company can be a pain in the ass but they pay on time. Cyprexx is real pain in the ass because they want you to do everything for the little money they pay but they will give you a lot of work. Five Brothers and LAMCO pay much higher than Cyprexx. You don't have to do trash outs and lock changes if you don't want to and you can tell them what area's you serve. With gas prices going up so quickly I try to be very selective on the distance I travel. Do not deal with Property Preservation work off of Craigslist. They will offer you $15-$25 a lawn.
I second that about safeguard
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys you have all been a big help! i have a friend who works for safeguard, and he drives allover sometimes its 45 miles from his house for 75.00. he said they do pay on time. but thats a little too far for 75. i dont think i would mind trashouts but what about the fees for dumping? my friend sells most of the things he gets at a yard sale?
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're given the trash out job......you have salvage rights to anything in the place that's considered "personal property". Make sure you and the co. that hires you are clear on this. I've sold a few things I've taken out of properties.

Yes. You're responsible for the dump fees. Make sure you include them in your internal bid, anyway. It'll take you some trial and error to estimate these.

Good luck.