Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Dimension and Tifgreen

If you go to the DowAgro and site and look at the label for Dimenson it plainly states not to use this product on Tifgreen 328 or 'undesireable turfgrass injury may occur'.

But on the Lesco branded bag of Dimension I picked up from JDL this warning is nowhere to be found. Shouldn't it be? Or is there some difference in the product or something else I'm not understanding.

Thanks-
Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't do it. Dimension will prune the roots of bermuda, especially Tifgreen and Tifdwarf maintained at a low height of cut. In fact, I do not normally use preemergent herbicides on bermuda. Weeds are kept out by fertilizing adequately and mowing with a reel mower as often as possible. On a low growing grass that spreads by stolons, rotary mowers tend to suck up and cut off stolons trying to anchor into the soil, thinning out the lawn, encouraging invasion by weeds.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greendoctor.....does that include common seeded Bermuda cut at 2" (with a rotary) or is that geared more toward a hybrid or sod? The reason I ask is the local Lesco where I purchased my common Bermuda recommends Dimension included in the regular fertilizing schedule.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Don't do it. Dimension will prune the roots of bermuda, especially Tifgreen and Tifdwarf maintained at a low height of cut. In fact, I do not normally use preemergent herbicides on bermuda. Weeds are kept out by fertilizing adequately and mowing with a reel mower as often as possible. On a low growing grass that spreads by stolons, rotary mowers tend to suck up and cut off stolons trying to anchor into the soil, thinning out the lawn, encouraging invasion by weeds.
Good advice about the fertilizing and mowing, I wish I could follow it (I do try!) but circumstances dictate otherwise. I called the guys at JDL, but they had no good answers as to why the warning was not posted on the bag which is why I thought I would ask here.

I wonder what the difference is between say, 328 and 419, that makes one susceptible to injury and the other not so much. Any idea's? Or where one might look to find the answer?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
Greendoctor.....does that include common seeded Bermuda cut at 2" (with a rotary) or is that geared more toward a hybrid or sod? The reason I ask is the local Lesco where I purchased my common Bermuda recommends Dimension included in the regular fertilizing schedule.
Avguy- The Dow Agro label only advises caution when applying Dimension to Tifgreen 328, other varieties of bermuda, common and hybrid, are listed as tolerant.

The Dow Agro label I was reading is for Dimension 2EW, a liquid. The Lesco product I've seen is a dry granular, 0-0-7, and that label lists no such restrictions, but they both contain the same active ingredient, dithiopyr.

I'm curious as to why one could cause problems and the other maybe not.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvjim View Post
Avguy- The Dow Agro label only advises caution when applying Dimension to Tifgreen 328, other varieties of bermuda, common and hybrid, are listed as tolerant.

The Dow Agro label I was reading is for Dimension 2EW, a liquid. The Lesco product I've seen is a dry granular, 0-0-7, and that label lists no such restrictions, but they both contain the same active ingredient, dithiopyr.

I'm curious as to why one could cause problems and the other maybe not.
Thanks....I'd already put the Dimension down last month......was hoping my Bermuda guy at the Lesco wasn't letting me down...
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone have an opinion on using Amaze with brmuda?
http://www.greenlightco.com/products/amaze/index01.html
Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrager View Post
Anyone have an opinion on using Amaze with brmuda?
http://www.greenlightco.com/products/amaze/index01.html
I've never used it, (benefin+oryzalin) but the folks at UGA say it should be OK.

http://apps.caes.uga.edu/urbanag/Hom...m?storyid=2662