Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf'n'Turf View Post
other than the arbs, all the plants pictured are rather small...once they rake back the gravel, two guys with sharp spades should have them out of the ground in less than an hour.
I kind of figured that except there's approximately 40+ of them.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
thick gloves with the cactus.
DEFINATELY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf'n'Turf View Post
oh, i forgot 'easiest' method...i'd use our toro dingo to rip them out in a few minutes, but the op may not have that luxury. theres always the hillbilly method of tying a rope to the truck and slappin' her in granny gear.
Don't have a dingo but will look into renting one. What about damage to the lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMADDUX View Post
and hope the rope don't break and kill some one. and oh yah better get you some insurance.
Thanks, we've got insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
agree, use a chain instead.
Yes, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMADDUX View Post
chains can break or slip and cause some serious damage to but probably wont with his van.
Hmmmm never thought about a van!! Maybe we can rent one of those too!!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you went out there with a shovel, a wheelbarrow, and a rake you'd be done by now.

I don't get it. These are relatively small plants with the exception of the arbs which are one of the easiest plants to dig out. You don't need equipment or a truck and a chain. You need to get to work. Use the most efficient gear that you already have, because there is not a lot of time involved in doing this no matter what equipment or method you use.

I swear that if it does not have a power cord or <s>pull cord</s> electric start no one knows what to do anymore.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Don't have a dingo but will look into renting one. What about damage to the lawn?
Well if you want to spin donuts it will!!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
If you went out there with a shovel, a wheelbarrow, and a rake you'd be done by now.

I don't get it. These are relatively small plants with the exception of the arbs which are one of the easiest plants to dig out. You don't need equipment or a truck and a chain. You need to get to work. Use the most efficient gear that you already have, because there is not a lot of time involved in doing this no matter what equipment or method you use.

I swear that if it does not have a power cord or <s>pull cord</s> electric start no one knows what to do anymore.
I agree. You could probably just literally rip half the plants out by hand. You may have to use a shovel on some.

A lot of times you can find the edge of the fabric and just pull it up and it will pull all the stone in a pile for you if its not too rotted.

Easy job, that whole place could be cleaned out with 2 guys in 3-4 hours easy.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
I agree. You could probably just literally rip half the plants out by hand. You may have to use a shovel on some.

A lot of times you can find the edge of the fabric and just pull it up and it will pull all the stone in a pile for you if its not too rotted.

Easy job, that whole place could be cleaned out with 2 guys in 3-4 hours easy.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured to just dig them out by hand. Was just seeing if there was an easier, faster way. This client wants a few additional things done so any way I can save time would be great.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I try to save as much as I can with in reason when I remove plants. Some can be used later or in your own yard. Dig them up throw them in the truck and pot them up at home/shop.
VO
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Landscape Design View Post
I try to save as much as I can with in reason when I remove plants. Some can be used later or in your own yard. Dig them up throw them in the truck and pot them up at home/shop.
VO
Good idea, thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Thanks guys, I kind of figured to just dig them out by hand. Was just seeing if there was an easier, faster way. This client wants a few additional things done so any way I can save time would be great.
By the time you go rent a machine, haul it, and get it there, you'd be done. Sometimes you have to weigh those factors in too.

Besides the sharp spade, get a good Maddox Pick (Pick Axe). When I started my biz, that was the first tool I bought. The leverage you get to pop plants and shrubs makes it super easy to do by hand.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
By the time you go rent a machine, haul it, and get it there, you'd be done. Sometimes you have to weigh those factors in too.

Besides the sharp spade, get a good Maddox Pick (Pick Axe). When I started my biz, that was the first tool I bought. The leverage you get to pop plants and shrubs makes it super easy to do by hand.
Thanks White Gardens, I've got one in my arsenal too! Try not to leave home without it!