Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's kinda like this.....

There's a kid, somwhere, playing golf with hand-me-down clubs that were $200, new. He rides his bike to the course. And, he doesn't even know what the word "overhead" means.

But, he practices every day. And, he's a scratch golfer......routinely beating the grown men who have $3K clubs and every gadget known to man to help their swings.

If you think someone can't make money at $18/lawn.....you're mistaken. I can't. You can't. But, someone can.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
it's kinda like this.....

There's a kid, somwhere, playing golf with hand-me-down clubs that were $200, new. He rides his bike to the course. And, he doesn't even know what the word "overhead" means.

But, he practices every day. And, he's a scratch golfer......routinely beating the grown men who have $3k clubs and every gadget known to man to help their swings.

If you think someone can't make money at $18/lawn.....you're mistaken. I can't. You can't. But, someone can.
very well put.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
its clever marketing. I'm sure somewhere on there it says "starting at...." their prices are probably on par with the rest of us. Then ask them to show you an example of a lawn that they will actually cut for $18.95 and see what happens. The guy probably just banks on the fact that he is (or so he thinks) a good salesman and just uses that advertising to get the phone call. Whether or not he is actually able to sell his stuff I have no idea.

I already got a few of these this year...tell someone $30 a cut and I get the "oh well so and so said $16" and i ask if they have had any other quotes and they usually say "yeah I had 3 others and they were all about the same price as you, but I like this guy that will do it for $16!" I just smile, hand them my card and say "well, you know what they say, if its too good to be true, it usually is" and then I get in my truck and leave and they are usually still standing there confused by the time I pull away. Some people just don't get it.
We must be getting the same estimates! I do like the shock value when you just hand someone your card, shake their hand, say thanks, and then get in the truck and drive off. They just stare at you until you are out of site not sure of what just happened to them. The thing is the price shoppers will get their price. It doesn't cost them anything but their own time to have 25 estimates to get the lowest price so its best to cut them off from the start and leave. Even better have minimums established so you don't have to waste time driving to estimates. But the key is still being friendly and professional.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

But, he practices every day. And, he's a scratch golfer......routinely beating the grown men who have $3K clubs and every gadget known to man to help their swings.

You definitely hit the nail on the head with that.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Thats going in my signature
Old 04-11-2011, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

amen to that!

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Sure someone can make money at $18. But you obviously make way, way more if you charge $45. Only a fool works for 1/2 price.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No. You don't "obviously" make more, if you're charging $45.

It's got nothing to do with how much you make in this or any business. It's got everything to do with how much you KEEP.

So, if your overhead eats up $38 of the $45......and "junior's" overhead eats up $4 of his 18.......who's the fool?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're a smart guy, Vencops.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The thing I would take away from this statement would be "Worry about your own business and not someone elses" If he/she can do it at that price and make money then great, if you can't you have two options. Re-evaluate your business or put your blinders on and do what you need to do to continue to be where you are at. There will always be the more expensive businesses and the cheaper ones. They each fill a role.

If you look at some of the landscaping/hardscaping threads you'll notice that some of the larger landscape/hardscape guys are taking on maintenance work, like lawn mowing, because their customers are in demand for it and rather than let it go they are taking advantage of it. The difference is that these guys probably have a good wealthy customer base that spreads word to their wealthy friends so they are on the high end of the maintenance business. They built a business from high end landscape/hardscape customers which now translates to high end maintenance. Plus for them to buy a few mowers and related equipment isnt going to crush their bottom line.

In the lawn maintenance forum it seems there is more crabbing about low prices and such. I'm curious to see what customer base is pursued most in that forum. Is it high end? Is it trailer parks? Is it low end to middle class who just don't want to mow their lawn? When I started I couldn't believe some of the places calling to have their lawns mowed by a service! Most were lower income people, but maybe this is where the $18 guy makes money with his small setup. I don't want those because they give you nothing but mowing.

I'm no business pro and would never claim to be. These are just observations I have made. I try to use this information for my business to make it better than last year. I dont what others charge just as long as they are using sound business priciples to make decisions and not pulling numbers out of a hat.
Closed Thread