Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who'd Like a Decent Hand Spreader- Listen Up Earthway

Alright guys I want everyone to chime in. Years ago the Scotts Handygreen 2 was a decent throw away spreader that would last for quite a while. But a few years back I suspect Scotts found some other factory in China that was paying it workers even less money (if thats possible) and they switched manufacturers. When this happened the spreaders quality went right in the crapper.

I would love to see Earthway take their oddball bag spreader, shrink the broadcast wheel, and enclose the bottom of it similar to the Scotts. Remove the bag and add an open hopper like a traditional hand spreader. The hand crank could be made half the size as well since the wheel would be smaller.

The Earthway has heavy duty guts in it but the bag is a worthless device. Most of the time I need to broadcast material where just two pounds covers a large area. I do not want a huge strap on spreader that's time consuming to load up and empty. I want to be able to load it up and empty it very quickly.

Right now the Earthway bag spreader crank causes your hand to go right through the material your spreading. I'd like to know who the genius is who tested out this product prior to sending it to the market.

I also would like a hand spreader that has the Scotts ergonomic type handle that makes holding the thing a bunch of times during the day easier.

Earthway makes my favorite C22SS push spreader but their hand spreaders with hoppers are all junk. The guts in the Earthway hand spreaders are all absolute crap. The Earthway bags spreaders have great guts but the design is useless. Common Earthway are you listening?

I've bugged Earthway a few times to no avail on this issue. I want to get everyone on board who love to have a hand spreader that could be considered a commercial quality spreader. I would gladly pay $50 or more for a bad azz hand spreader.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

great idea! I actually have one of the little green ones, had it for many years.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea, I've got 2 like the one on the right. They're kinda hit and miss. I mean the 2 I have right now have lasted a couple of rounds but I've bought several in the past and bought one a couple years back that didn't seem like it made it out of Lowes parking lot before it "crapped out" on me. I was so freakin pissed. I would pay decent $$$ for something of professional quality as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried Earthway's 3400 handheld spreader? We sell this model at our John Deere Landscapes location for around $15.00 each. Here's a pic.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

NICE< i have the same complaint about the scotts. the older ones lasted for a few years, we got two of the "new" ones and they did not even last the first job!!!!!!!! total crap. going to need a replacement so thanks for the post.

by the way OP, if you are such a earthway spreader fan, how did you not know about this one?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If it has cheap price probably cheap made
I have a Earth way hand held but not one them bag kinds
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
Have you tried Earthway's 3400 handheld spreader? We sell this model at our John Deere Landscapes location for around $15.00 each. Here's a pic.

I love Earthway but it's a piece of shick.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

what i like best about the scotts is the arm rest. makes a world of defference when doing very large shrub bed apps.

what are us pros gonna do?

maybe we should all call scotts together or something? ( like it will do any good though)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i say that handheld earthway is the worse spreading outa the bunch,
but your right they are all cheap and shortlived,

i seriously siliconed all the joints on the last scotts handheld i bought
to help keep the fert outa the insides to see if it lasted longer,
i got 2-3 months outa it/ maybe a month longer than usual

sign me up for a comercial quality one as well
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, metal gears, sealed gear housing, stainless steel gears and spindle if possible. Hell, throw a grease zerk on there if necessary. Unfortunately the Wal Mart generation rules. Cheap products at a cheap price. There are people out there who will still pay for quality. I'm one of them. Quality=Less Headaches.