Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2003, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

J D Jx 85

help. my jx 85 will not roll backwards. I've cleaned the old grease off the gears but to no luck. the transmission seems to be locked? It run forward great. thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It could be one of two things.
1. If you can pull it backwards, but it has a drag like the trans. is turning, then it is a little spring on top of the trans case that is causing the problem. .This tiny little spring pulls the lever on top of the trans back into neutral when you let go of the travel control bar on the handle. I used to carry extra springs in my tool box.
2. If the wheels or one wheel is locking up when you try to pull it backwards, then it is a problem in the end of the drive axle. The drive sprocket on leash end of the axle works like a ratchet. It locks going forward and a little spring loaded key lets it roll free going backwards. If the mower runs in wet conditions, or if you wash the mower now and then, this spring and key get rusty and won't allow the drive gear to "ratchet" on the end of the axle. You can usually fix it by spraying rust solvent or WD 40 into the area where the drive gear fits on the end of the axle. If that does not work, remove the spring clip that holds the gear on the end of the axle. Pull off the gear, being careful not to loose the spring and key that will fall out. Clean rust off of all these parts, spray on some WD40, and reassemble. good luck.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

The JX85 transmission is different than all other JD walkbehinds internally. They are very difficult to pull in reverse, however, it shoudl allow you to pull it in reverse enough to move it.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

jx 85 repair

Thanks mowingman, What a pleasure this site is ! After a long and hard day working, and to be able to ask a question about almost anything, getting a few hours rest, check my email and be able to go to my shop this morning and repair my equipment. Thank you all good people in our industry !!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My 21"er always does that.

Just push it forward a little then pull it backwards it always works 4 me.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

above all,
Glad to help. What exactly did you find the problem to be?
Old 04-17-2003, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

jx 85 repair

The keys under the gear were nice and greased, but the spring that pull the trans up was missing ! Right you were.. First guess ! Thanks again your help let me get the machine running today. The older JD px 15 21" got to stay home. Good numbers to you.