Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it too late?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and I am not yet in the business either. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and I am seriously contemplating starting my own lawn care company. With it already being mid April and the warm season in full effect down here in NC...I was hoping to get your thoughts on when to give it a go. Have I missed the boat for this year? Is there good reason to get started now, knowing it will be a real struggle this year due to the late start, but it may provide me with a jumpstart on next year? Any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

What part of NC you from? Its been fairly decent this year even with the fact that every truck/minivan/car is pulling a trailer with a Lowes bought Z on it. Still beating the Craigslist 20 buck crowd by providing top quality service.

Id say if its part time try it, otherwise, I wouldn't drop a full time job to start now. Will still be hard to grab a share of the market starting late and missing out on the early spring contract grabfest. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its never too late to start any type of business. However, I strongly urge you to really think about what your getting into. It costs lots of money to get a lawn care company started, between marketing, equipment, insurance etc. Their is not a whole lot of money to go around any more in this industry, their is just way too many people doing it. And yes it is possible to have an industry become over whelmed with people out doing the same thing. My suggestion would be to find something that isn't as saturated as the lawn care industry, and focus hard and invest into it and you may become the next bill gates. Just take a look while your out driving down the highway and just count how many LCO's you see in a 1 hour period, you may think twice then. Yes I may be up in NY but its happening every where. If you do decide to go with it, well then just get out their start knocking on doors, again its never too late, Also dont forget your LICENSE AND INSURANCE, if you do you may be broke your first lawn.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerLover View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and I am not yet in the business either. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and I am seriously contemplating starting my own lawn care company. With it already being mid April and the warm season in full effect down here in NC...I was hoping to get your thoughts on when to give it a go. Have I missed the boat for this year? Is there good reason to get started now, knowing it will be a real struggle this year due to the late start, but it may provide me with a jumpstart on next year? Any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
My advise....unless you have a real passion for it, find something else to focus on. And yes, I think its too late to start anywhere this time of year.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Landscape View Post
What part of NC you from? Its been fairly decent this year even with the fact that every truck/minivan/car is pulling a trailer with a Lowes bought Z on it. Still beating the Craigslist 20 buck crowd by providing top quality service.

Id say if its part time try it, otherwise, I wouldn't drop a full time job to start now. Will still be hard to grab a share of the market starting late and missing out on the early spring contract grabfest. Good luck.

Davie Landscape...I'm in Charlotte. I know there is a lot of competition here but I still believe it could be a lucrative business venture. New developments are being built everyday and people continue to move down here just like i did 12 years ago. I want to go at it full time. I think I need to have all my energy invested in order to make it a real success. I believe I will love being the owner and being outdoors.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in Charlotte 2 weeks ago. Went to IKEA. But on the drive down, from Salisbury to IKEA, nearly 100 LCO's, be them legit or not, that's alot of mowers on trailers. Drive up to Mooresville or Davidson and pick a gas station to sit at for 20 minutes and look at all the LCO's in the area. The area is SUPER saturated. If you want to take the plunge then no one here can stop you. But I wouldn't this season. The market shares just aren't what they were 10 years ago.

And follow ALLPro's advice. License, Insurance! Don't spray unless you get your license. Ive seen WAY to much of the illegal spraying going on this year. Check the NCDA&CS website to get the schedule. There is a Pesticide Applicator Exam taking place May 7th. Ill be there to get more continuing edu credits.

Food for thought. If you wanna talk business, feel free to PM me and ill give ya my number.

~Zak
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its never to late to start a lawn care business if the grass is green you can grow fast
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Never too late!

Don't let anyone tell you that its too late. Someone can use your help everyday. People are in and out of the doctors office daily and no longer can do this type of work. Figure out who you are targeting and go for it. Hell you can always go door to door when you see someone needs your help and see where that leads you. No matter what stay focused on your goal because the money is there.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never too late to start up. Just really take some time to think about your decision to start a lawn maintenance company. It does take a lot of hard work and dedication to make it in this industry. When I started my lawn company I soon realized you have to cut a lot of grass to make a decent living. I service 40 properties solo and am not even close to where I would like to be financially.

96 gmc 2500
16ft PJ utility trailer 2009
2011 Snapper 200xt 61"
Great Dane Chariot 52"
Stihl handhelds