Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatten View Post
Gas is quickly approaching $4 and diesel is already over $4, so has anyone implemented a Fuel Surcharge? If so what did you charge and how did it go over with the customers?

Thanks
We sent out a letter with all our renewals and 3.85/ gallon was our trigger to raise rates a bit. We haven't mowed one lawn yet and today it went to 3.89/ gallon. I just heard on the national news....$6.00/gallon is a real possibility and more like a probability. I hate govt. and all the oil tycoon's. I hope they all rot in Hell!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you guys who make the customer sighn a contract should have to just eat the gas price increase-
Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not charging any type of fuel surcharge this year. I didn't lower my prices when gas dipped down to $1.95 a few years ago, and I'm not going to add a fuel surcharge when gas hits $4.00 a gallon. Everyone got a small price increase at the beginning of the season that reflected what I figured to be a rise in gas prices over the course of the year. Now I will say that any new clients I agree to service with are getting a higher rate now than what I was charging at the beginning of the season. My rates on all services for new clients have gone up. I simply anticipate and prepare before the season starts so that my clients don't have to deal with a "fuel surcharge" adding weight to their monthly invoice. I'm not knocking anyone who institutes a fuel surcharge. I have in the past. But I just learned to anticipate the rise and plan for it in clients' every day pricing.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
not using the fuel charge yet but soon will be.

it is going to go over fine with my clients. they are already aware of it. they like it because it keeps me from raising prices. and if gas would not hit the $4 a gallon mark or as soon as it would go under $4 a gallon again no fuel charge.

but for me it has to stay $4 a gallon for 2 weeks or more out of the month for me to use the fuel charge. otherwise i'm not gonna bother.
I like your idea; but what if the gas goes up to $5 or $5.50? Maybe on your letter that is going out to customers it needs to say a higher percentage if $5-$6 for more than 2 wks during that month?

It's kinda amazing that these customers dont care though---with low ballers out there working for rates that compete with the neighbor boy!! I had one guy that I obtained from a buy out and he was paying $25; and it was a small yard and we had the one across the street so two can be done at the same time....I told him since we had the one across the street we could keep the price the same...he says "well if you got the one across the street then why cant I pay $20 instead?" I told him "because I am not the neighbor kid mowing your lawn...I am rolling up with $40,000 in equipment". I dont care if that sounds rude--he was rude. In my mind I said I wouldnt be back to do it--but talked to his wife and she is nice--and apologized for her husband. (he was trying to get my spring clean up price chopped in half when she already agreed to it and work was done)
Old 04-24-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny days 101 View Post
I like your idea; but what if the gas goes up to $5 or $5.50? Maybe on your letter that is going out to customers it needs to say a higher percentage if $5-$6 for more than 2 wks during that month?

It's kinda amazing that these customers dont care though---with low ballers out there working for rates that compete with the neighbor boy!! I had one guy that I obtained from a buy out and he was paying $25; and it was a small yard and we had the one across the street so two can be done at the same time....I told him since we had the one across the street we could keep the price the same...he says "well if you got the one across the street then why cant I pay $20 instead?" I told him "because I am not the neighbor kid mowing your lawn...I am rolling up with $40,000 in equipment". I dont care if that sounds rude--he was rude. In my mind I said I wouldnt be back to do it--but talked to his wife and she is nice--and apologized for her husband. (he was trying to get my spring clean up price chopped in half when she already agreed to it and work was done)
well for now any price of gas $4 a gallon or higher will include a $2 a month fuel charge on it. it might have to be adjusted next season or purhaps prices will have to be raised next season depending on what the "new low" will be for gas prices.

when i have 2 people what want my services that live next to each other or across the street from each other i always tell them i'll do for X amount each since you both live by each other but normally it would cost Y. the X amount is always cheaper than the Y amount.

i had 2 corner lots across from each other that would normally go for $27 a piece and i told them that, but told them if they both hired me i'd do them for $25 a piece since it's a one stop deal.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Instead of a fuel surcharge I just quit drinking instead and now I have my customers pay me in gasoline instead of beer.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

And the price of gas continues to climb. Where she stops nobody knows.