Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
that's not much of a ditch lol...you could mow that with the mower itself
Um hmmm. Tried that first. Can't walk in the bottom of the ditch. It appears to be dry but you sink right in up to your knees. There's also 750 feet of that ditch there. It's a whole lot easier with the ditch mower.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'll post some pictures of ditches when i get around to it. then you'll see what a ditch is lol. a ditch has to be trimmed or sprayed with round up. you can't go over it with a mower. those are small ditches. i'm referring to really big steep ditches.

Last edited by weeze; 04-20-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
i'll post some pictures of ditches when i get around to it. then you'll see what a ditch is lol. a ditch has to be trimmed or sprayed with round up. you can't go over it with a mower. those are small ditches. i'm referring to really big steep ditches.
I don't really care about your ditches. Those are your problem. The OP asked for a solution without giving any specifics about the job. I gave one. What have you contributed to this thread besides giving me a hard time and belittling a tool I use? The arm on the ditch mower is also adjustable and can go down into a ditch about 4 feet deep. I had it adjusted to it's shortest length for my ditches.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't really care about your ditches. Those are your problem. The OP asked for a solution without giving any specifics about the job. I gave one. What have you contributed to this thread besides giving me a hard time and belittling a tool I use? The arm on the ditch mower is also adjustable and can go down into a ditch about 4 feet deep. I had it adjusted to it's shortest length for my ditches.
Is that custom made or is there a company selling the arm?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGMADE View Post
Is that custom made or is there a company selling the arm?
The arm consists of 2 parts. The yellow portion is the arm from a Peco Z-Trimmer. The black portion is just a standard friction trailer antisway bar. Just mount the Z-Trimmer arm to your deck. Remove the trimmer motor and chuck it in the trash or put it on a shelf or whatever. The friction sway bar comes with 2 balls. Mount one to the Z-Trimmer arm where the electric motor was and the other one on the front right side of the lightest pushmower you can find. Attach the sway bar and you have a ditch mower.

I added a rollover switch to the pushmower for added safety in case it does tip over. I also used 2 stroke mix gas. You should also only make right hand turns when the ditch mower is attached. The longer the ditch the more you'll love the setup. I always had people stopping and asking me where I got it whenever I used it so it must not be too bad of an idea.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The arm consists of 2 parts. The yellow portion is the arm from a Peco Z-Trimmer. The black portion is just a standard friction trailer antisway bar. Just mount the Z-Trimmer arm to your deck. Remove the trimmer motor and chuck it in the trash or put it on a shelf or whatever. The friction sway bar comes with 2 balls. Mount one to the Z-Trimmer arm where the electric motor was and the other one on the front right side of the lightest pushmower you can find. Attach the sway bar and you have a ditch mower.

I added a rollover switch to the pushmower for added safety in case it does tip over. I also used 2 stroke mix gas. You should also only make right hand turns when the ditch mower is attached. The longer the ditch the more you'll love the setup. I always had people stopping and asking me where I got it whenever I used it so it must not be too bad of an idea.
Why do use 2 stroke mix gas with the Kawasaki engine? Isn't that engine pressure lubed?
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Why do use 2 stroke mix gas with the Kawasaki engine? Isn't that engine pressure lubed?
Habit. I used a 30 year old Techumseh for the job before I put the Kawi on it.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok man the OP was talking about really steep ditches...the one you showed didn't look steep to me...but no matter...i wasn't trying to belittle you was just saying that that wasn't a big ditch...anyways forget all that...here's some "ditches" i had to trim today. I still have no idea why they have shrubs in the ditch at that one house lol...i guess they washed down there at some point. the first 5 pics are all from the same house...they have a ditch all the way around on 3 sides of the yard...the last one is a commercial property next to the highway that i had to cleanup.

Last edited by weeze; 04-22-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
ok man the OP was talking about really steep ditches...the one you showed didn't look steep to me...but no matter...i wasn't trying to belittle you was just saying that that wasn't a big ditch...anyways forget all that...here's some "ditches" i had to trim today. I still have no idea why they have shrubs in the ditch at that one house lol...i guess they washed down there at some point. the first 5 pics are all from the same house...they have a ditch all the way around on 3 sides of the yard...the last one is a commercial property next to the highway that i had to cleanup.

The last one, how do you cut that one?

I could only imagine doing that with my string trimmer.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah that is trimmer all the way...in real life the ditches are steeper than they look in the pics....you actually have to climb down in there to get the lower part of it lol...i'm gonna try to hit the lower part with roundup at some point to help out haha...it's not like it's a good looking ditch or anything so it won't matter