Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

25 Kaw - Tank - Ztwo questions

Hello old friends... long time no post from me.

I was hoping some of you could help my feeble old mind here...

If you have a 25hp Kawi or a Tank or a Ztwo... would you look at something for me?

Look at the voltage regulator and tell me how the wires go on it.
It took me so long to get the part I can't remember how it goes for sure.

I might even have already fried the new one... Something happened and the battery went out big time. So I tried to boost it off for the last cut last year but it would not run without the battery. So I assumed either the alternator was shot or the voltage regulator. Well I tested the stator and it checked out and I am thinking the regulator did not, but I bought a new one and hooked it up like I thought it went. But it still won't run without the battery.

I will of course be getting a new battery, but not until I know my system is charging properly. So do I have something wrong or a brand new bad part are these things wired in some way where they just don't run without a battery?

And last question... I let this thing sit all winter untouched which I never do. So of course I am having troubles getting it cranked up. I have to pour fuel in the carb to get it to crank, then it runs fine. No matter how long I run it, still have to put gas in that way every time to get it started. That has me kind of puzzled. Fuel pump thingy?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The engine will never run without a battery. If there is no battery hooked up, the regulator will not put out any voltage. If there is no battery hooked up, you have nothing to power the anti backfire solenoid and the engine will run for a bit and die.

Look at the Regulator/Rectifier. There is one lead that is by itself. The other 2 are connected where they enter the body. Hook the stator up to the 1 lead by itself and one of the 2 connected leads. Hook the other connected lead up to wire going to the battery.

As for starting...make sure the choke is closing all the way. Possibly the gas is too stale to fire the machine up but not bad enough to keep it running once started?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
The engine will never run without a battery. If there is no battery hooked up, the regulator will not put out any voltage. If there is no battery hooked up, you have nothing to power the anti backfire solenoid and the engine will run for a bit and die.

Look at the Regulator/Rectifier. There is one lead that is by itself. The other 2 are connected where they enter the body. Hook the stator up to the 1 lead by itself and one of the 2 connected leads. Hook the other connected lead up to wire going to the battery.

As for starting...make sure the choke is closing all the way. Possibly the gas is too stale to fire the machine up but not bad enough to keep it running once started?
Thanks... I will throw in a new battery then... and that is how I have the regulator hooked up... I thought maybe the new one was no good too... I didn't realize the system required a battery. I am running into more and more stuff wired this way and lack the understanding to be able to look at the wiring diagram and understand "why" it won't run without a battery, or better said how it is wired in such a way as to require a battery to complete the system.

On the fuel, everything was drained. It's strange how I can put gas into the carb and it will run and obviously start to pull fuel from the tank. But when it dies, apparently for some reason it is unable to start. Maybe I need to pour a bit of seafoam or something in there. Maybe the pilot is clogged... but it doesn't seem like it because it will idle and it will start at low throttle openings.

I will eyeball the choke operation... bet that has to be it.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

welcome back envy
  3. 60 (07) tank z-turn
  4. redmax weed wakers and backpacks
  5. and a t-230 shindy weed waker so old that moses use it to weed wake around the ark as they was building it lol
Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure enough runs fine with a battery and seems to be charging at the battery as well.

I put it to good use with no ill effects today. I guess I need to make 110% sure the regulator I took off was bad. Might have a spare... might have only been a shorted battery the whole time. If so, I will be even more confused on what happened to the battery.

Wasn't starting without gas poured in the carb cause the choke indeed was not working. The little piece that operates it broke off and you can never feel the difference the way it is made. Flip it with my finger and it starts right up.

It does seem to struggle a little bit with starting the blades though.
Might be nothing. I'll put some more warm up hours on it and see how it does.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes after starting, if I fail to take the choke all the way off and engage the PTO it will bog down just a little. If you are controlling the choke by hand, make sure you get it all the way off. Mine is also a Kaw 25 hp.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
Sure enough runs fine with a battery and seems to be charging at the battery as well.

I put it to good use with no ill effects today. I guess I need to make 110% sure the regulator I took off was bad. Might have a spare... might have only been a shorted battery the whole time. If so, I will be even more confused on what happened to the battery.

Wasn't starting without gas poured in the carb cause the choke indeed was not working. The little piece that operates it broke off and you can never feel the difference the way it is made. Flip it with my finger and it starts right up.

Thanks guys!
Welcome back Envy. I don't want to hijack this thread, but are you still keeping a close eye on all the new deck designs etc like Scag Velocity, Hustler VX1, The BB Outlaw, and of course the Cub Tanks Select Cut, which I like the cut of now compared to others?

I know you were very knowledgable in deck design, and it seems to me companies are struggling in this area a lot for northern guys as far as getting a clean cut. We need more lift than most to get all the stragglers, something I noticed with the Select Cut when the apron was lowered. BB Outlaw has the apron on it and cuts ok but still lacks that kicker by the exit , don't know if that would help move the grass out faster or not. Seem like it pulverizes the clippings to small even with regular medium lift blades, which creates buildup. My Exmarks are the same with the Ultracut lots of scraping.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post

Thanks guys!
Are you talking about the clip on the choke shaft that holds the choke rod in place? If so you gotta replace the whole choke shaft...they dont make a separate clip. Kinda stinks. On a Kohler its a $1 plastic clip...On a Kawasaki its a $35 choke shaft and some assembly/disassembly required.