Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncare18 View Post
proturf: What do you guys do during a cleanup? Just de-thatch , clean beds, etc etc. How many guys roll out with the first crew? Busy spring ahead? take lots of pics.
For each cleanup we will clean the beds & lawn areas of debris, dethatch the entire lawn, sweep all the winter sand from the lawn edges along the road & along the curb in front of the property, prune any low hanging tree branches, mow the lawn & edge and prep the beds for bark mulch if they are on the schedule for mulch. Typically we have 3-4 guys per cleanup crew for residential properties depending upon the size of the cleanups. Pics to come soon...
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockie View Post
Hey ProTurf

Nice operation for sure. One question for you. You say you just do lawns and maint. and I thought I saw that you do not fertilize. Do you not have trouble with customers wanting one company for everything? I would think customers would want to deal with someone who does it all. Im starting up a company this year, and I'm thinking that if I start sayin "oh I dont do that, or that" they will just move on.
Thanks for your input.
Thanks for the kudos Stockie. For our commercial properties we will sub out the fertilization to a local fert company. We tell our residential customers that an actual fertilization company can do a better job than us at a cheaper price than us. You can't be "everything to everyone". It is tempting to do, but we have found that not offering the fertilization service does not effect our maintenance business.

My advice is: Figure out what you are good at...and do ALOT of it. Once you figure out what you enjoy doing & can do efficiently, begin to focus on doing alot of that service. If you have too many "stirrers in the pot" you become a jack of all trades, master of none. There are some companies out there that successfully offer many services, but it is not easy. We offer more services than the average company & it is challenging staying on top of our game on all of those different services.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance712 View Post
Awsome vinyl job. You guys ever try to get in with heavy highway seeding?
Posted via Mobile Device
Lance,

We have not done any actual highway seeding. Our previous machine was too small to efficiently do those size jobs. We are hoping to get into some roadside seeding with our new machine.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke man View Post
Hows your Spring going? The hydroseeder looks sweet!!!
Thanks Powerstroke!

Spring has been decent so far. Much later start than last season, but we are all in the same boat, trying to make the best of it. We should be doing our first mowings at the tail end of this week. How are things going for you?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are a few random pics as we wrap up the loose ends on the new hydroseeder. Here is the new reel that we're installing, it didn't come with one. We took some videos of the new machine for the website before we put it out to work. Also a close up of the graphics on the cab...
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a pic of our Bobcat as we are re-painting it. We use it primarily to load salt in the winter & the paint takes a real beating, so we touch it up each spring.

Also here is a pic of a spare tire mount we put on our Bobcat trailer. We get flats often enough that this was something we really needed. The downtime from a flat can eat up the man hours real quick if you are not prepared for it. We bought a few spare rims & tires over the winter so hopefully this will not be much of an issue going forward.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a random pic of a small job we did last week. Had to bring in some material to fix the grade under this deck. All of the water was pooling against the foundation. It was nasty work, you needed to be a hobbit to work under there comfortably.

Another random pic of pulling some pipe for a sprinkler system last week.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
Thanks Powerstroke!

Spring has been decent so far. Much later start than last season, but we are all in the same boat, trying to make the best of it. We should be doing our first mowings at the tail end of this week. How are things going for you?
Good to hear Chris!! we were in the same situation didn't get started like we planned. things are going good for us ,lots of work lined up. Hopefully its a good year!! and , The Fuel prices go down, but i doubt that. Ugh! Good to hear from you and see some more pics. Take it easy.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Barkblowing RI A&J landscaping

A few pic's from my trip down to Westerly RI to help our great buds at A&J landscaping blow a few hundred yards of mulch.

Thanks for the hospitality guys, was a great time!

-Ryan
Attached Images

Truck 8- GMC 2500 pick up, Truck 13- Chevy 2500 Utility body, Truck 11- Ford F350 Dump Truck, Truck 6- Ford F550 Dump Truck, Truck 7- Freightliner FL60 Dump Truck, Truck 12- Ford F800/FINN Bark Blower, 3 enclosed trailers, Deckover backhoe trailer, Truck 14- INTL4400/Bowie Hydroseeder, Ditch Witch,
A300 Bobcat, Yanmar Mini excavator, 2 Trojan Loaders, Compressor, 3 Exmark 60" Lazer Z's
I just work here
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I would just like to thank Pro Turf for a gob well done anybody that needs bark blowing done give them a call they are the best. They are great guys to work with. You guys will have to come down in the summer and we will show you a good time.