Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TRAILER BRAKES Problem? HelPPPPP!

Ok well today i was working with my buddy. We were in his 4500 and pulling his "new to him" trailer.... He pressed the brakes then the trailers which is a tandam axle. one axle locked up so we endedup blowing 2 tires today....
Later on we looked at the trailer and saw the trailer didnt even have a breakaway box and it looks like the trailer brakes wires were cut....

We never had any problem when pulling the trailer with the other trucks...ONLY THIS ONE! Later after we replaced the tires. we put the trailer on the other trucks and it worked fine.....

If the trailer doesnt have brakes why did that happen??
Yet the owner who is a buddy of mine says he just worked on the brakes...
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, thats weird. I would start looking at the plug area on the problem truck. Maybe the wiring is bad on that truck causing too much current to pass through to the brakes locking them up. Is the trailer loaded or empty? There's only a few things that can go wrong on a trailer, either the magnets are rusted or worn, the pads themselves are bad or need adjusted or the electric current is bad. Every year it seems we go through one of these issues with our trailer's. Good luck!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The break a way is there if the trailer becomes dislodged and the battery sends current to the brakes to lock them up. It should have one but it won't effect normal braking.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post
Yeah, thats weird. I would start looking at the plug area on the problem truck. Maybe the wiring is bad on that truck causing too much current to pass through to the brakes locking them up. Is the trailer loaded or empty? There's only a few things that can go wrong on a trailer, either the magnets are rusted or worn, the pads themselves are bad or need adjusted or the electric current is bad. Every year it seems we go through one of these issues with our trailer's. Good luck!
The trailer had 2 mowers on it..... Whats also weird is this happened last summer and i havent had a problem with it since.... But then again i havent hooked up the trailer to this truck since!

Yeah the trailer brake is the least of my worries i only use this to pull my mowers around...my brakes are fine if i pulled my loader with this truck i might have been a little more concerned
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
The trailer had 2 mowers on it..... Whats also weird is this happened last summer and i havent had a problem with it since.... But then again i havent hooked up the trailer to this truck since!

Yeah the trailer brake is the least of my worries i only use this to pull my mowers around...my brakes are fine if i pulled my loader with this truck i might have been a little more concerned
UMMM, DUH. The plug on the truck is wired wrong. Very simple to straighten out and have working properly. I ran into this thousands of times working for U-Haul. I remember one guy coming back complaining that the brakes didn't work on HIS trailer after I installed a hitch, brake box and wiring on his truck. After a bunch of BS and him acting all stupid, he finally did what we asked and brought his trailer by the shop. I'm sure you can guess that the trailer plug configuration was wired wrong from the start. After taking the 7 way plug apart, someone had the hot wire and the brake wire backwards. He apologized after I wired the trailer right and had it working. Even gave me a $50 tip!