Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2003, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Somebody was pulling you leg when they told you got 4 yards of topsoil in your truck my old 88 F-Superduty with a 12x7.6 foot box and 2 foot sides could carry 3.5 yards. I put 4 yards on the truck the soil was fairly moist but I figured I had close to 8500-9000lbs on the truck.

If you haul mulch thats heeped above the box it must be tarped if the topsoil is really dry it must be tarped legally every load is supposed tobe tarped from gravel to topsoil.

I have carried close to 3 yards of drain rock that was damn heavy the load scaled out at 9100lbs pushed the gvw of the truck to 17,300

A landscaper friend of mine he isn't used to trucking he didn't realize the the weights of gravel the pit dumped 3.3-4 yards of 3/8s minus into his Chevy 1 ton. I told him he had close to 5 ton on the truck he somebody told him that he could pack 3 yards so thats what the loader operator gave him

I deal with the pit alot and know all the guys that work there I gave them s--- for overloading my buddies truck told him he is a novice in trucking. I told them "you guys should know better"
Old 04-21-2003, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our one ton mason dump carries with 2x10 sides 6 yards of loam and 8-10 yards of mulch. Our one ton pickup with sander carries (in winter) 2.2 yards of sand at #3190 per yard. (Powerstoke pullers)
We scale out our single wheels to #16,000 to #17000 and duals to #18500 or so!
Old 04-21-2003, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The insert body has a level capacity of 2 yards.

The sides that have been added on the chevy's body look to be 12" at the lowest point, probably 18" at the highest.

8' long body * 5.33' wide at the top of the body = 42.666

42.667 area of the top of the body * 12" sides = 42.667

42.667 / 27 square feet = 1.58 yards thats level with the top of the lower 12" sides.

So there is a total of 3.58 yards before the body is even filled to the top of the higher sides.

Now lets guess that the higher sides are 4' long and 6" high, and again 5.333 feet wide. This gives an area of 10 cubic feet

10/27 = .39 cubic yards.

3.58 cubic yards + .39 cubic yards = 3.97 cubic yards.

The math doesn't lie by heaping the load, and filling to the top of the high sides it would be easy to put 4 yards on the truck.

Not saying its US DOT aproved, just possible.

Geoff
Old 04-21-2003, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gravel Rat
[b]Somebody was pulling you leg when they told you got 4 yards of topsoil in your truck my old 88 F-Superduty with a 12x7.6 foot box and 2 foot sides could carry 3.5 yards. I put 4 yards on the truck the soil was fairly moist but I figured I had close to 8500-9000lbs on the truck.

If you haul mulch thats heeped above the box it must be tarped if the topsoil is really dry it must be tarped legally every load is supposed tobe tarped from gravel to topsoil.

I have carried close to 3 yards of drain rock that was damn heavy the load scaled out at 9100lbs pushed the gvw of the truck to 17,300

A landscaper friend of mine he isn't used to trucking he didn't realize the the weights of gravel the pit dumped 3.3-4 yards of 3/8s minus into his Chevy 1 ton. I told him he had close to 5 ton on the truck he somebody told him that he could pack 3 yards so thats what the loader operator gave him

I deal with the pit alot and know all the guys that work there I gave them s--- for overloading my buddies truck told him he is a novice in trucking. I told them "you guys should know better"[b]
That isn't topsoil, it is compost. It would never hold that much topsoil!

Also, I do tarp my loads, I just didn't show it on in the pics because you wouldn't be able to see the load. The pic with the mulch--I wouldn't normally heap it that high, but I didn't leave the property, I just drove it down a little ways to unload. It was from a pile delivered by a semi.