Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdale View Post
hey capemay,
What engine do you have on your hustler? I have the 25 kaw and have notice that it will almost stall when engaging the blades when the engine is cold and half throttle.
I have a 19hp. No problems at any speed engaging the blades cold or hot.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
Regarding engaging the blades, my owners manual (BadBoy MZ48) doesn't say anything about at what throttle position to engage the blades. I did download a Hustler Sport owners manual (when I was researching mowers) and they say this:

With the engine running, engage the deck clutch switch and advance engine throttle to full rpm.

NOTE: Engaging the deck clutch at high engine rpm or when under heavy load (in tall grass for example) can cause belts and/or electric clutch to slip, resulting in premature wear or possible damage.

Kevin
Now I was told by a dealer years ago that you should engage the blades at almost idle or a little above idle or low RPM's. He said that engaging the blades at high RPM's will destroy the clutch? BOTH OF MY HUSTLERS that I have owned will engage blades at almost "idle" position with a slightly cold engine. Now these are smaller decks 42" and smaller machines, but the BadBoy still had a smaller deck, with a much larger engine, I would have expected it to handle turning the blades over with no problem.

Also when I say "cold engine" I start everything I own and let it warm up pretty well before I use it, so it is not really a cold engine, just really not up to operating temperature. I am not talking about just starting the machine up and throwing the blades on and going. I usually let it run a few minutes and then go.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 04-27-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno77 View Post
The 2010 Quest was delivered last night for my demo, but with all this rain we have been getting I decided not to turn my regular yard into a mud pit. Instead I mowed a 1 acre side lot I have. This lot is twice as rough as my regular lawn and not as well maintained, like a farm pasture. Anyway I mowed the acre in 35 min and the grass was wet and soil was muddy but I wanted to see the limits of the machine. It never once stalled or bogged down I was mowing full speed without hesitation. I double checked it has the the Brigg Extended Life Series 22hp engine on it not the Vanguard. My dilemma is this do I trust in the Briggs engine or bump up to the Pioneer E Series and get a 22hp Kawasaki?
The question is, do you want to spend the money? Is the Vanguard a better engine? YES. The Briggs will last you many years. I have had lots of Briggs engines in mowers and tractors and they all faired well. I was going to buy a Scag Freedom Z with a 27hp Briggs ELS engine, but went with a smaller Hustler and got a 17hp Kohler single cylinder engine and it was solid for 3 years.

There is a dealer on here that sells BadBoys and he says that the Briggs engines are really doing well and he talks customers into the Briggs ELS. If you want to talk with him, his screen name is RetroDog. PM him and he can help you decide on a engine. Here is his contact info http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=53955
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 04-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
Regarding engaging the blades, my owners manual (BadBoy MZ48) doesn't say anything about at what throttle position to engage the blades. I did download a Hustler Sport owners manual (when I was researching mowers) and they say this:

With the engine running, engage the deck clutch switch and advance engine throttle to full rpm.

NOTE: Engaging the deck clutch at high engine rpm or when under heavy load (in tall grass for example) can cause belts and/or electric clutch to slip, resulting in premature wear or possible damage.

Kevin
Quote:

Kevin
Weird,
I would do what your manual says,I'm gonna email Snapper tomorrow. Must be using different type/design clutches. Certainly don't want to void warranty.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 04-28-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've always engaged the blades at full throttle, but I'll see how the Briggs does at half throttle (for blade engagement only) the next time I mow.

A friend called me today to see if I would start mowing her daughters yard this year...more to mow and getting paid! I will have to 'reclaim' the yard (tall grass) for the first mow.

Kevin
Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called BadBoy, told them which mower I had, and they said full throttle for blade engagement. I'll still try at half throttle for grins.

Kevin
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Engage at 1/2 throttle: Disengage at 1/3 throttle for maximum life. Disengaging is actually more important than engaging because the clutch has to stop the enertia of the blades.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLHBD View Post
Engage at 1/2 throttle: Disengage at 1/3 throttle for maximum life. Disengaging is actually more important than engaging because the clutch has to stop the enertia of the blades.
This is pretty much what my dealer told me for the Exmark I have. I engage at 1/2 throttle position, which is far less than 1/2 power in reality, and disengage by throwing it to idle and pushing the button just before it winds all the way down.

Here's a question for the gallery - I've always been told that running hydro pumps at less than full throttle (no blades engaged, just driving) is hard on them. Any truth to that? My Kubota G1800 never seemed to care but that thing was ridiculously overbuilt and I've got a feeling the trans was a little different than my Exmark.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowick View Post
Here's a question for the gallery - I've always been told that running hydro pumps at less than full throttle (no blades engaged, just driving) is hard on them. Any truth to that? My Kubota G1800 never seemed to care but that thing was ridiculously overbuilt and I've got a feeling the trans was a little different than my Exmark.
I find that hard to believe, I mean how do the hydro's know when the blades are on?? But really, how far is anyone really driving on their ZTR without the blades on?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think blades on or off matter, just not fully powering the hydros being hard on them. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Tags
exmark , hustler , scag , toro