Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2011, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Solid COmmercial 21'' ??? TRU-CUT Anyone!?!!?#!

Hey guys.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a commercial 21'' push here. Sick of the mid graders breaking down all the time, and I use these little pushers quite often.

I have been thinking about the Toro, but at 1300 I find myself wondering about some of the others.

There are 2 options I am looking into right now...

I have thrown the snapper/ferris to the side for the time being, and have come to the conclusion that the Gravely Pro-21HD would be better option in that price range (600-800). I really have no experience with Gravely though, and don't know anyone that does. Any thoughts on Gravely, and the Pro-21 in particular ??

Also have a friend in Ohio that knows a dealer, and said he has a older Tru-Cut commercial push mower that was used as a demo. At first I thought that might mean some commercial guys might have beat it up testing it out, but he said it was probably used by some of the shops guys to show customers how it worked and it probably had low hours on it ???

I have never really heard about "tru-cut" mowers. Anyone have any opinions on these things ??? I am guessing it probably won't be as solid as the toro commercial, but I also figure the thing probably goes for 500$ or so which is a big difference.

HOW GOOD ARE TRU-CUT MOWERS. ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE BABIES ?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're gonna be using it everyday, you better get one with self-propel. No sense
in making the job harder than it has to be. Are you gonna be mulching or bagging?
Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Have a gravely pro 50 walk behind and I love it. Its very solid and starts on the first pull. The cut quality is great also. I am thinking about selling it though because I have two 50in mowers and would like to trade or sale one and get a 36in. I just can't bring myself to let it go. Its a 2003 but it is an awesome machine. I have never used a 21in gravely but I would give it a try. I am sticking to gravely from now on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
If you're gonna be using it everyday, you better get one with self-propel. No sense
in making the job harder than it has to be. Are you gonna be mulching or bagging?

You are right I need self propel without a doubt. Tru-cut are not self propel ?

Mostly mulch everything, but if a lawn gets too high on me for whatever reason I will usually try and use a bagger.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndont View Post
Have a gravely pro 50 walk behind and I love it. Its very solid and starts on the first pull. The cut quality is great also. I am thinking about selling it though because I have two 50in mowers and would like to trade or sale one and get a 36in. I just can't bring myself to let it go. Its a 2003 but it is an awesome machine. I have never used a 21in gravely but I would give it a try. I am sticking to gravely from now on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good to hear lyndont. Thanks for the reply...

I also read the Toro 22156 is another good option, and might be a better idea than the full commercial. I should have bookmarked the thread I read, and pasted it but it seems this has the commercial engine, and the steel wheels which are key. Mower itself is over 30lbs lighter though which is also a big plus I think. Still a bit pricey at 900 though I guess, but that is about 2-300 less than the full commercial.

Still just a bit more expensive than the fully commercial Gravely Pro-21HD if that is the right price there. Not sure how they compare of course, but something to think of for Toro fans. I am a bit partial to Toro with decent luck on mid graders (always thought they made a nice cut). I do also have a Toro 40'' Tbar that I love.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz123 View Post
You are right I need self propel without a doubt. Tru-cut are not self propel ?
Are you left handed? If you are, they've got the perfect set up.

You better ask the dealer if the drive lever can be moved to the right side.

Last edited by Merkava_4; 05-02-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

thats just a snapper with a diff name
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz123 View Post
Good to hear lyndont. Thanks for the reply...

I also read the Toro 22156 is another good option, and might be a better idea than the full commercial. I should have bookmarked the thread I read, and pasted it but it seems this has the commercial engine, and the steel wheels which are key. Mower itself is over 30lbs lighter though which is also a big plus I think. Still a bit pricey at 900 though I guess, but that is about 2-300 less than the full commercial.

Still just a bit more expensive than the fully commercial Gravely Pro-21HD if that is the right price there. Not sure how they compare of course, but something to think of for Toro fans. I am a bit partial to Toro with decent luck on mid graders (always thought they made a nice cut). I do also have a Toro 40'' Tbar that I love.
This looks like my 2007 PT21 that I have other than mine has the FJ180V engine.

Been a very good mower.

My dealer talked me into the PT21 model as I wanted a mulcher and they said that the Super Recycler was better than the 'big brother' model.

It wa about 450 less than its bigger brother model.