Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAYMAN View Post
I currently have a 2001 Hustler Z but looking to upgrade to a Super Z, but before I plunk down 10K on a piece of equipment I'm going to demo a Ferris IS3100, Exmark Lazer, and a Scag TT. None of the local Scag dealers have a Cheetah for me to check out, but one of them told me that the Cheetahs they have demoed were weak in the field, struggling for power. In addition to that he described the demo units like they were some sort of proto-types that didn't have some of the bugs worked out yet (but he didn't elaborate when he said that). I do cut some hills that only the Super Z has been able to hold (Cub Cadet Tank, Bobcat, and Kubota all either failed to hold traction in part or completely), so stability and traction are an issue, but I sure would like to try a Cheetah out for myself before pulling the trigger.
Sounds like your Scag Dealer is doing what he's in buisness to do, SALE. If he doesn't have a product in stock, then why would he try to sell you that product?

I have two 61" Cheetahs with the 32 horse Vanguard and they have never lacked for power, even mowing grass that should have been mowed with a bushhog.

Like Chevy's, Ford's and Dodge's, gas vs. deisel, you're going to get 10 different responses on a particular brand from 10 different guys.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Sounds like your Scag Dealer is doing what he's in buisness to do, SALE. If he doesn't have a product in stock, then why would he try to sell you that product?

I have two 61" Cheetahs with the 32 horse Vanguard and they have never lacked for power, even mowing grass that should have been mowed with a bushhog.

Like Chevy's, Ford's and Dodge's, gas vs. deisel, you're going to get 10 different responses on a particular brand from 10 different guys.

Yes, that's a very understandable interpretation of his intents, but, he said that he'd make an effort to get into contact with his distributor and get a Cheetah out for me to demo so that I could compare for myself and make my own analysis. From what I'm reading/hearing there seems to be some difficulty getting and keeping the Cheetah's on the showroom right now, and I'm in a small market where dealers don't keep one of each flavor on hand. Given those facts however, he said he wants to take a wait-and-see approach until more owners have tested their dependability before he pushes them or stocks them.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Tested the Cheetah, TT, and Ferris IS3100 over the weekend. The Cheetah was indeed a demon with a good cut at high ground speed, but in my opinion it didn't feel as secure on slopes as my Hustler Z, nor did it hang on them like the TT. The Cheetah's suspension was nice compared to the TT and Hustler Z, but noticeably less soft than the Ferris. To my pleasant surprise, just as the rep had told me, the Ferris held my slopes adequately, though I'd still give the nod for stability to my Hustler.

An Exmark Lazer was supposed to be brought to me Sunday for demo, but it rained, again, so he's bringing it later in this week. From what I've heard of the Lazers the suspension is one of the only things that doesn't rate as compared to the Super Z and Ferris, so I'm not sure how it could gain the edge over these other two.

Much of my ground is terribly uneven/bumpy, and though I am not cutting commercially (only putting on about 50 hours/yr) my only concern with the Ferris is whether the suspension pivot points can hold up to the hard jostling. When I asked the dealer about that he of course said it was no problem, and that his experience in the shop didn't show any IS3100's coming back for work on the suspension. Anybody have thoughts on this?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So has there been any updates to the Chettah since it hit the market? I will be getting a demo this week to run for several days and I was just wondering if I should see about demoing a TT as well. I don't have a lot of hills so comfort and cut quality are more important that hill side stability. I am also considering demoing a Ferris 3100 but my local dealer is closing at years end so that may be a choice that I better forget about.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Silly question, but how does the TT relate to the Tiger Cat in the same situation?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the cut on all of them will be the same since they all use the velocity + deck.

the cheetah is a hair more comfortable since it has the suspension platform and not just a suspension seat. some would say there is no difference. maybe it's just the difference isn't that noticeable.

some say the TT is the best ztr ever made and the most reliable and longest lasting.

i've sat on both machines at the dealer. i didn't like the "feel" of the TT but the cheetah seemed to fit me perfectly. i'm 5'9" tall. i like the compactness of the cheetah. other taller/larger people may like the "feel" of the TT better. to me sitting on the TT would be like mowing with a tank. it just seemed big and bulky. i didn't like the floor pan either that has a hump in the middle of it. i like a flat floor pan since my legs are too short to put my feet on the angled piece of metal out front. the TT may last longer but it requires more maintenance. it has things like liquid cooling and shaft drive and such. i don't like doing alot of maintenance so it just doesn't fit me. to each their own. some love the TT and always will. others will like the cheetah better.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Currently have cheetah on demo 31 kaw 61 deck. Awesome. Smooth. Comfortable. Fast. Great cut. Fast.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
Currently have cheetah on demo 31 kaw 61 deck. Awesome. Smooth. Comfortable. Fast. Great cut. Fast.
Anything standout compared to other mowers you have demoed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's as smooth as the next exmark lazer z (the most expensive one). I had one for about two months last year while one of my scags was getting rebuilt, and we loved that. The lazer was fast smooth and would turn on a dime. The cheetah is very similar but with a better ride. The seat is awesome, especially in those long hot days. The only drawback is the 31 kaw is thirsty. I'd go E.f.i. If I end up getting one. I have the Turf tiger big block 35 liquid cooled and the cheetah beats it coming and going. The tiger is bulky and not as responsive. For $10k you can't go wrong with a cheetah.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also the hillside stability was amazing, better than the tiger. It's got it all .