Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM
steel05 steel05 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ne Ohio
Posts: 36
This guy was claiming his brother is getting 20 mpg while towing his 21 foot boat with his 2500 hd!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
LushGreenLawn's Avatar
LushGreenLawn LushGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
Some of the newer designs of light duty full size trucks with V6's are rated at 17/23 or 16/22 or thereabouts. Real world you're probably talking 14-15mpg around town with mowers in the back.

The problem with smaller trucks is you either have minimal bed space or you have to spend a good bit to modify that. That adds weight and drag which might negate some mpg advantages. And I've personally found that a smaller v6 or I4 engine working harder doesn't do that much better when loaded down than a 2wd small v8/good v6 full sizer working less hard. Compacts are also built really light and fragile.

V6's vary though. it used to be they put old pig engines in because they were cheap.

A 2wd long bed reg cab is lighter can will give adequate power vs a 4x4 crew cab towing a trailer, so you'll probably find a full size truck more versatile overall. The compact offerings are either overpriced (toyota) or too small to hold much w/o a lot of modifications.
Thats what I'm wondering if the extra strain on the engine would offset the fuel benefit. FYI right now I have a full size truck, that gets 15mpg with a v6 in it, pulling a trailer takes it down to 9. I'm not sure another full size truck is going to do the trick, even if its a 2wd.

I don't need to use the bed at all, it strictly pulls a mowing trailer. I don't need versatility.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 PM
LushGreenLawn's Avatar
LushGreenLawn LushGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel05 View Post
This guy was claiming his brother is getting 20 mpg while towing his 21 foot boat with his 2500 hd!
A 2500HD doesn't get that kind of mileage on its best day not pulling anything.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
LushGreenLawn's Avatar
LushGreenLawn LushGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel05 View Post
I've got a 05 tacoma v6 It pulls a 6.5 x 12 with a 48 walk behind, push mower and misc. items also loaded with clippings by the end of the day just fine. I get about 14mpg towing and about 20 when not towing. they're great trucks. Just change the oil and drive. I'm looking to buying another one for plowing this winter I'll use it for smaller drives.
Thats exactly the info I needed. Mabye there is something to this tacoma thing. I've been getting an average of 9mpg. a 5mpg bump would be worth buying a truck at $3-4 a gallon with the miles my guys put on it.

Do you check MPG regularly?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM
unkownfl's Avatar
unkownfl unkownfl is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando/Windermere
Posts: 3,760
I had a 4.3 silverado long bed, regular cab, auto that averaged 12-14 towing a single axle 6x12 with 3000lbs of mowing equipment. In a S10 it might get a tad bit more but wouldn't be worth it with the smaller tires/rear end brakes etc... You would spend more maintaining a compact truck vs a smaller engine full size that it would just eat away any money saved in fuel. I bought a I4 dakota 5 speed that I plan on using for just mowing I waiting to put a clutch in it and see what it does for MPG over the 4.6 3v 6 speed f150 I have now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 PM
steel05 steel05 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ne Ohio
Posts: 36
Lush green... I know My hd gets about 9.5 mpg. I told the guy he was crazy. He swore up and down. As for the tacoma I check it about once every week. I'm kinda anal about it. I just feel they great trucks. They handle nice, smooth drive, and the resale value is the best in it's class. I had a 2000 put 180000 miles on it Traded it in they gave me 4000.00 for it the only thing I had to do it was replace the center bearing. They run forever.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 PM
LushGreenLawn's Avatar
LushGreenLawn LushGreenLawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I had a 4.3 silverado long bed, regular cab, auto that averaged 12-14 towing a single axle 6x12 with 3000lbs of mowing equipment. In a S10 it might get a tad bit more but wouldn't be worth it with the smaller tires/rear end brakes etc... You would spend more maintaining a compact truck vs a smaller engine full size that it would just eat away any money saved in fuel. I bought a I4 dakota 5 speed that I plan on using for just mowing I waiting to put a clutch in it and see what it does for MPG over the 4.6 3v 6 speed f150 I have now.
Wow, mabye its something with my truck? I've got the same truck, same engine getting 8-9mpg towing about the same equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
Thats what I'm wondering if the extra strain on the engine would offset the fuel benefit. FYI right now I have a full size truck, that gets 15mpg with a v6 in it, pulling a trailer takes it down to 9. I'm not sure another full size truck is going to do the trick, even if its a 2wd.

I don't need to use the bed at all, it strictly pulls a mowing trailer. I don't need versatility.
The way 66 chevy implala got much better gas mileage with the 283 v8 then the 250 v6. Same GM putting v6 in their full size rwd buick lesabres. Underpowered and the engines did not stand up due to being over worked.

Never buy a full size pick up with a v6. For 3000 lbs to cause mpg to drop that much just shows how under powered a v6 is for the job.

I have a 2001 yukonxl 3.42, 5.3, pulling a loaded pop up and the back of the truck loaded as well I get 20.7 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. The engine does not even feel the load.

Now my brother has just bought a new chevy reg cab 1500, 8' bed, 3.42, with the new small v8 295. He bought close to a basic truck for $26,000. I say save your money until you can afford one.

The 5.3 come with cylinder cutoff and 6 speed auto. What you will save in fuel will also make the purchase less expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Kelly's Landscaping's Avatar
Kelly's Landscaping Kelly's Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Milford CT
Posts: 3,686
My smaller trucks do go through breaks much more frequently then the bigger 3500s I use to stand by the fuel efficient model but found I am better off getting a truck that meets all my needs In a diesel. Now the efi motors on the new lazers that's a different story.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
My smaller trucks do go through breaks much more frequently then the bigger 3500s I use to stand by the fuel efficient model but found I am better off getting a truck that meets all my needs In a diesel. Now the efi motors on the new lazers that's a different story.
If your truck is going thru brakes your towing too much weight. A midsize truck will work fine for route work as long as your not trying to pull three or four mowers with it. It really comes down to weight don't over do it and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.10963 seconds with 9 queries