Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet 21" 6-Speed: Wheels Lock Up in Reverse

Hello.

I've checked many forums and done quite a bit of research on this very problem, and I have heard of many other people (with newer mowers, too) with this same problem, yet I have not once seen a solution...

My Cub Cadet's wheels lock up when I pull it backwards. (With the drive control disengaged, of course). Sometimes I can pull it back 20 feet, sometimes 2 feet. I have a perfectly level yard, so there are no slopes to mess up the ratcheting gears in the drive wheels.

Usually when this happens, when I want to go forward again, when I engage the drive control handle, I'll get a loud banging "click" noise, and I'll hear the engine bog down a little bit from the belt engaging, but the mower wont propel forward. I'll have to engage and release the drive control handle a few times, and then It'll take off.

Also, it's always done this, but is it normal for the gears in the wheels to ratchet (and click, click, click...) when I push the mower forwards manually? (Just want to be sure the ratchets are on the right side...)

I took the transmission apart, removed the old grease, and put new grease in the transmission housing and in the chain and sprocket housing.

I love the cut that the mower gives, the castoriing wheels, electric start, etc., I even stripped it down and repainted it... I'd hate to have to put it on the road...

It's an SC621E, by the way. Model Number: 12AE969F100. They still sell this same mower. Mines from 1997.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does this model have those stupid nylon straps under the hub caps/wheel covers that engage the ratchets?

If so, replace them - they don't hold their shape forever.

The difference between a Technician and a Mechanic - A Technician uses a book, the Mechanic uses his brain.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the new world of cub cadet. Used to be the commercial mower to the home owner.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Cub made some great items years ago when IH owned them. Today they are king of the junk pile.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. It does have those nylon "springs" under the hubcaps. I purchased new springs for both sides last fall. I replaced the drive belt, drive clutch cable, 6-speed cable, the two ratcheting pawls in the wheel housings which the nylon springs are inserted into.

When I got the mower from a friend who did small engine repair back in 1999 or so, the pawls in the wheels were removed, so it didn't self-propel. I build a lot of muscle pushing this heavy mower every week for 5 years. So I purchased all of the bits that were missing to get it to self-propel again. It propelled forward fine, but I kept getting this wheel locking in reverse.

It clicks when I manually push the mower forward. Is this normal? Shouldn't I be getting the ratcheting of the pawls when I'm pulling it backwards?

So it seems that the vast majority feel that MTD has ruined Cub Cadet... That's sad. The reason I bought the Cub back then was because I always heard they were the best a consumer could buy... I still see lots of older Cub Cadet lawn tractors around, before MTD bought them out.

Thanks,
Nick