Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention, after the first year, maybe 2nd year, when then fabric starts to break down, and the weeds (a lot of bermuda around these parts) start breaking through the fabric and the customer decides they want to start over....good luck with that. If a customer asks for any sort of weed barrier, I explain that the mulch will do just as well, and that I will not install fabric. If they insist, they will have to find another company.

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I refuse to use fabric. There is nothing worse than dealing with fabric infiltrated with 2 years of weeds and old mulch. I also refuse to remove old mulch, it seems pointless...I just rake it out and put a thin layer over the old.

So I guess that customer won't be calling me any time soon.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just can't believe a professional landscaper would post on this site they use fabric all the time and then ask why it's a waste. Wow!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
I just can't believe a professional landscaper would post on this site they use fabric all the time and then ask why it's a waste. Wow!
Posted via Mobile Device

I Love pulling weeds out of useless fabric. the weed gets so locked in that after you pull it it will be back in a week because you cant get the Roots out of the fabric stay away like the plague.
99 Jeep Wrangler 6.5' Meyers
97 Ford SD Stake 8' Diamond, Henderson Salter
95 Chevy 1500 7.5' Meyers
93 20' Enclosed Wellscargo
85 Chevy Blazer 7.5' Meyers
Scag 61" TT
Scag 61" Hyd. Walk Behind (For Sale)
Scag 52" Hyd. Walk behind
Redmax EBZ 8000 Back Pack Blowers
Sthil KM 110R
Hedge, Line Trimmer
Lawn Edger
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

fabric doesn't prevent weeds it prevents the roots from burrowing into the dirt. If a weed does happen to start, a simple tug and it comes completely out. you pull one out of a bed with no fabric you'll never get the whole root. I try to sell the fabric on all new jobs and complete tear-outs. Lay the fabric as close to all edges and cut the smallest hole for plants as possible, keep it tight and flat no folds and staple the piss out of it and you'll have no issues.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Your paying your helper too much. I would get 2 helpers at 9 or less. We are talking about raking and shoveling. This is not a hard job.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe1889 View Post
I Love pulling weeds out of useless fabric. the weed gets so locked in that after you pull it it will be back in a week because you cant get the Roots out of the fabric stay away like the plague.
maybe really old fabric. I have never layed the stuff myself but I have plucked weeds up that have grown on top of the fabric and they come out easy.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
fabric doesn't prevent weeds it prevents the roots from burrowing into the dirt. If a weed does happen to start, a simple tug and it comes completely out

What about nutsedge and other weeds that grow right through the weed fabric? Then you go to pull it and the fabric comes up? Or what about if the area isn't completely flat or the water runs down through the low spots or channels. Bye bye mulch. Try newspaper to suppress the majority of the weeds first. THEN DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE. Contrary to popular belief THERE IS NO MAINTENANCE FREE LANDSCAPES. Unless maybe a plastic landscape? Nope you'd have to sweep it.

I often figure in an extra time to come back and spray at least once for non regulars.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
If your referring to me, I didn't say I used it all the time. I said I use it on new installs where the beds have no mulch in it. I was also simply asking why people thought it was a waste, I find fabric to be somewhat helpful in the northeast. Your entitled to your opinion but don't start bashing someone when you don't know the details. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

fabric is a waste and a lot of extra work

6 yards of mulch with 2 guys is 3 hours or so (not including bed edging )

so you have 6 man hours , i charge 40 a man hour for labor , so i would charge 250 plus the price of the mulch (your mulch price is very high by the the way)
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks

Tags
mulch , mulch install , mulch pricing