Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLawnCareInc View Post
If cost isn't an issue as the 1st post said there is no reason to not buy the diesel what so ever. I have 7 mowers, 2 gas and 5 diesel and the diesel wins hands down in ever dept. It has more torque, cuts thicker grass better, gets better mpg and is smoother. The only posible downside would be the fact that the diesel engine weighs about 150 lbs more, and i know as some people have said " on a wet lawn that makes a difference" I disagree. If your cutting a wet lawn any zero turn is going to leave ruts. And the diesel isnt more headahce or maintenance. It goes longer between oil changes and never breaks down for me personally. I have 3 john Deere 997 diesels, 2 Hustler diesels and two Wright brand gas stand ons. My oldest diesel has 1300 hrs on it my oldest gas engine has 1300 hours on it and Ive spent a good amount of money on repairs for the gas engine, and none on the diesel.
Got some friends one bought a 997 and the other bought a TT. And the 997 ruts worse than the TT. And my TT ruts worse than my TC, I just think the diesels are over kill for most lawns.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would consider a diesel on a 72". Nothing smaller. Even the 72 would be border line/on the fence. Some of those smaller diesels out there actually cant compete with the big 30+ hp gassers. No experience to back that up, just what I have heard.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One could argue that the diesel is over kill, I personally always say its better to have some extra or reserve power than to run at max all the time.

On the smaller diesels like my 2 hustlers it has 25 hp and it does a great job for small lawns. It has plenty of power, its a smaller machine and cuts better than my gas mowers.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
I would consider a diesel on a 72". Nothing smaller. Even the 72 would be border line/on the fence. Some of those smaller diesels out there actually cant compete with the big 30+ hp gassers. No experience to back that up, just what I have heard.
Odd to give an opinion if you don't have experience... To say "Some of those smaller diesels out there actually cant compete with the big 30+ hp gassers."
While some might be true, my own experience we added a 25hp kubota diesel in a TT and have found our fuel usage savings of over 1 gal. per hour and power is equal if not better than our 30hp. + gas motors.

Minus the weight issue, the change over to diesel is well worth it!
That's my opinion with field data to back up my reasons!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbparn View Post
I am looking to buy a new mower and leaning toward a diesel (Ferris IS2500). But a small engine guy told me that he preferred a big gas engine to diesel engine because of torque. He said it was his experience that a gas engine could maintain blade speed better in thicker grass and he attributed that to the amount of torque the engine could produce. I had always understood that a diesel motor produced more torque over a gas engine, but he went on to say that was true only when you got into the higher horse powers (65hp and higher).

The other issue with a gas engine I wonder about is ethanol. The higher ethanol blends (E15, E20 etc..) are coming in the not to distant future and conventional gasoline will be harder and harder to find. I have been hearing the service guys (and recently EPA) telling me how hard ethanol blended fuel is on small engines. I don;t want to buy a machine that wont have an easily available and compatible fuel supply in 5 or 6 years.

Take costs out of the discussion and what are the advantages or disadvantages of either engine type.
Is there a cut difference?
Does a diesel "pull" better and keep on cutting on hills or rough terrain better than a gas engine or vice versa.
Does anyone know how the engine manufacturers are planning on dealing with the ethanol levels? Will fuel injection engines help resolve the problems ethanol causes in small engines?
First off, find a new small engine guy. I wouldn't let this guy work on a tricycle. What an idiot.

If money isn't an object, go with the diesel, you'll be thrilled that you did.

Can't answer the ethanol questions.

Quote:
Have you ever run a 72"?

Or a diesel?

Can't compete? On fuel usage, true enough, you'll be going through gas much quicker on a 30+ HP gas than a diesel. And be able to cut more grass, and taller\thicker.

As an aside, you might either want to listen to other people or just stop listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowerman View Post
Odd to give an opinion if you don't have experience... To say "Some of those smaller diesels out there actually cant compete with the big 30+ hp gassers."
While some might be true, my own experience we added a 25hp kubota diesel in a TT and have found our fuel usage savings of over 1 gal. per hour and power is equal if not better than our 30hp. + gas motors.

P-shaw, field data? My brother's uncle's cousin's sister's niece's nephew's grandma said gas was better.

I can't give actual gallons, but close. First Lazer we bought was a liquid cooled. On a long day or a lot of grass, we'd have to switch tanks sometime in the afternoon and use about half the second tank. Got an air-cooled for a demo once and ran out before noon on the first tank. The diesels I have now (Daihatsu crap) will run one tank dry a couple times a year. Barely.

If I could get diesels on my WB's I would.

Normal maintenance is no different than a gasser. Long term--on my Daihatsu's--I was screwed. They are crap, which explains why Exmark doesn't use them anymore. Still wouldn't keep me from buying another diesel Z.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I didn't say he was MY small engine guy. It was a small engine shop I came across in my travels trying to find a dealer who has a Ferris 2500 on the floor.

Concensus here is that a bigger gas engine does not outperform a diesel engine and the torque comment is bovine scat.

Someone in this thread mentioned they had a fuel injected gas engines? Which brands are using fuel injection? Will the fuel injection reduce some of the fuel issues that are caused by ethanol?
Are the engines in commercial mowers big enough that they really aren't having much issue with ethanol. Or is it the trimmers, saws and older boat motors the ones having the ethanol problems.

I have a JD 737 and have had problems with the 24hp Kawi on it. JD service tells me that some of the engine issues that mower is having are related to ethanol. I think its also related to bad design too.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowerman View Post

uh that would be the reason for the second sentence. Can you read?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
uh that would be the reason for the second sentence. Can you read?
No, but he can hear.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Huge Diesel Fan here. Even if it were just because they sound so much cooler when you first start them up.

The biggest plus for the diesel's isn't so much that it makes more torque, but that their torque curve is much flatter. If you always run your gas engine at full throttle and never lose any RPM's, then the diesel won't benefit you much from a power point of view, but it will save you a LOT of gas. Partly because they burn less at WOT, but also because you won't have to run WOT all the time. You'll have plenty of power at 70%.

If you're running more than 30 gallons of gas through your mower a week, and a diesel will take 15 gallons, how long does it take for a more durable engine that's saving you $250 a month in gas to pay for itself? Probably not long in Florida, but might be a while in Vermont with the shorter mowing season.

Todd
Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

i run gas & diesel. 25 kaw over 1 gal per hour likes gas
26 efi kohler 1 gal per hour
26 kubota diesel .63 gal per hour 9.5 gal into 15 hrs
bx 26 kubota tractor .52 gal per hr 3.4 gal into 6.5 hrs
this tractor was a rental for sat , moving topsoil & digging up stumps, has the
same 26 hp diesel as my zd326. amazed at the fuel mileage. most of the time
we run off road diesel @ 20 cents a gal cheaper than regular diesel

Tags
diesel , ethanol , gas