Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Brush clear / Stump Grind help.

Hey guys...im not sure whats upo with lawnsite but they ant uploading my pictures right so bare with me here. I got a job coming up, a lady wants this brush area converted to turf. She has been spraying round up for years now so a lot of the stuff just comes up witha kick of the steel toe. I will be grinding down 8 stumps which im kinda nervous about, first grind expierence, the good news is that all the stumps are mostly small and old and rotted. so it shouldnt be tough grinding. I just want some confidence im going bout this right i guess. Im thinking ill grind all the big stuff first, stumps so big grounds roots etc. QUESTION should i leave the wood chips and till? or try to remove them as best as i can. Im thinking ill drind, remove all the woody stuff coming up like thorn bushes, some sumac, other crap that is bassiclly dead from all the round up she has put down. Once clear i should roto till or cultivate the area right? Then seed and water and hope i get grass!? the area is prob about 1600 sqft. I have it bidded at $820.00 this is for grinding 8 rotted stumps which i csan kick and chip, removal of all debris roto tilling and seeding, maybe a started fert too. I want this too take no more then 8 hours and i hope to only have to rent the grinder for 4 hours. I will have two my best guys helping me. heres a pic sorry its upside down blame lawnsite.
Thanks so much guys any help greatly apreciated.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Also i guess my main concern is that when i till im going to run into a ton **** underneath ground level that wont be removed when i clear. Iv used a brush hog befor enad these is no where needed for something like this. Just a lot of shovel work i guess.....also any idea of how much of a fight its going to be keeping this **** form groing back, like the thorns and the wild sumac.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bzzzt.

Before you dig, call Miss Utility.
It's the law.

Yes, this includes tilling and stump grinding.
They have to locate all Cable, Water, Telephone, Gas, and Electric.

It will take time before they can come out and mark everything, at least a few days, sometimes 1-2 weeks.
You can't do anything until ALL of the utilities have been properly identified, once all is properly marked
there are still instructions to be followed but they spell this out for you, the main thing is that all lines
are properly marked.

So, call Miss Utility first thing in the morning.

Last edited by topsites; 05-04-2011 at 10:21 PM.