Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello, with a few Questions

Hello to everybody! This is my first post and I have a few questions that I would like to ask.

A little background on me first. I started out in 1998 mowing, light tree work, new installations, small scale water features, within a few years I was cutting around 50 lawns a week (with a little help!) Did that for about 5 years. I had a accident with some shrub trimmers that pretty much ended it for me. I just about cut a finger off, but its all ok now! Without any insurance (of any kind) at the time, I just sold the accounts and most of my equipment to cover expenses, and yes I learned my lessons! I kept a few lawns on and off for a few years but nothing full time. I started installing Christmas lights 6 years ago, and that has been the best money I have ever made! For the last 5 years I have been working a dead end job that pays great, but has crappy hours (concrete truck driver). I am looking for a way out. So I am considering a come back in landscaping and maintenance.

Here are my questions.

10 years ago, I never heard of anybody having service contracts on residential accounts. How does that work? Do people really go for paying year round and authorizing you to bill their credit cards?

Until I get enough business, I may need to work on the weekends some before I can quit my current job. How many of you mow on Saturday/Sunday? I know that is probably a turn off to the customer.

I am sure I will have more questions! Sorry if these topics have been beat to death already. I also understand that I will have to figure all this out for myself, but I figured I could get a little insight from this forum. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, if anybody has any questions on installing Christmas lights just ask me...I will tell you everything I know...everything!

Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a lot of questions on christmas lights, how do u charge for them? Do you buy the commercial grade and keep them for each house or have a customer buy em and youi install?
As far as weekend mowing just ask the customer when you bid, I have customers who prefer weekend, I do them fridays but some ppl like different things. I don't have residential contracts I tell customers that I don't believe in contracts I let my good work keep me employed-they like to hear confidence.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been in the lawn business for 11 years. Every season I see more lawn trailers on the road and every year I lose someone because the other guy was either cheaper or willing to cut whenever they called. Just trying to say that it is tougher now than 10 years ago
36" toro t-bar walk-behind
2 blowers
2 line trimmers
22' lawnboy residential mower
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I use contracts because it gives me income during the off-season. I just add up all the service they want to buy and divide by 12. The one thing I would say is to not finance into a service agreement mulch. The prices can go up or down and you are basically financing it for them for free.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

message sent to Brett's Lawn Care