Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clean up pricing vs. mowing price ???

Just curious how others cleanup prices, spring and fall, compare to your mowing price. Not looking for pricing help, more just the comparison.

We price all jobs based on our target rate per man hour, and obviously some leaf jobs are exponentially larger than "normal"... but our spring cleanups generally fall right around 4x the mowing price, while fall cleanups on an average yard, some trees, not wooded but not bare tend to be in the range of 5x a regular mowing charge and on up to as much as 9-10x for heavily wooded or difficult lots.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I normally don't compare the two. Either is priced according to the man hours needed to get the job done. It's all based on what my business needs to make a profit.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I normally don't compare the two. Either is priced according to the man hours needed to get the job done. It's all based on what my business needs to make a profit.
I agree 100%. I have heard some people charge 2-3 times their mowing price to bag the leaves with their mower. I cant do that here due to the amount of leaves that fall in NH. I blow them into a pile and use my leaf loader to suck them up into my truck so no relation to mowing at all.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the property. I have some that only need about 15 minutes to clean up in the spring and others that take 6 hours....comparably sized lawns with the same mowing rate. Some have so many large oak trees that i'm literally hauling away 1000 pounds of acorns and a dump trailer full of dropped wood.

I will say that my spring cleanups tend to be about half of the fall cleanup on a given property, but as far as comparing to my mowing rate, there really is no comparison.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
And you'd see by my post we do the same... but when you step back and take a look at the numbers ours work out to spring cleanups being in the neighborhood of 4x what we charge for mowing, some more, some less obviously. Fall cleanups have a much larger range due to much more variability in tree/leaf cover.

There's a lot of variables that go into the time required for the cleanups as well... does it include perennial removal in the beds, dethatching in spring, mulching versus bagging leaves etc. I'm just curious what people see from their numbers when you step back and make a general comparison.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really have to look at the property and see what exactly needs to be done. I have one customer who pays $100 per week for mowing and her spring cleanup is usually $250 while her fall cleanup is about $500. I usually do a good enough job in the fall that there is little to do in the spring but pick up sticks, blow out the beds,and thatch the entire property.
Other houses I have bid on might be a $40 mow job but when I pull up and see the property hasnt been touched in 2 years I automatically spit out a rediculous price.
2007 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP 17hp
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
Echo T755-H Backpack plower
JRCO dethatcher
6x14' Big Tex Open Trailer
Little Wonder 10hp blower
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea I don't think that system can work I did a little beach house this week that has more deck then lawn and charged a whole $50 dollars. But a few days before I did rude clean up on a 40 dollar lawn and the price came in over $900 (white pines don't do to well in ice storms)
Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

clean up spring and fall are just hourly. I give them an estimate of the time it will take (1.2 or 1.3 of what I really think it will take). Have never gone over. They are all very happy. If I think it will take 6 to 7 hours it would go like this... "It is by man hour, 2 men working 3 hours is 6 man hours, my charge per hour is $50. an hour. I remove all debris, I estimate it will be 8 man hours, so that will be $400." It takes 7 hours an they get an invoice for $350 and a note like, we were working quick, got it done a little quicker, thank you for choosing us... “ Under promise and over deliver.

Also, if it is not a normal customer or new contract customer or a real ugly job I often add 10 an hour to my charges. I really do not like spring clean ups, great money, but can be a pain in the rear with all the branches and everything. Just got in from a 24 man hour job, Had to fire a guy. Why is it so hard to find good people… I guess that is a subject for another day. J
Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK, here's a comparison for you. I have one that I get $65 to mow it weekly but a fall clean up is in the neighborhood of $1400. Another I have I don't even do a fall OR spring clean up at all!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

It all comes down to your cost vs total profit. If you know your numbers and figure in the cost of doing the job and what you could get out of it. do it