Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps some folks haven't learned the fine art of tapping the trimmer head properly,
then again I'm the fool who caught a trimmer-slung branch with his face not a week ago.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
Same here on the fast wear. Run through a spool every 2 months per trimmer. I am fixing to replace mine this week and will snag the carriage bolt and washer ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Come on you are wearing out those stihl heads in two monthsThose are one thing that stihl makes that is absolutely the best from wear and reliability. I can assure you no speed head will last longer and neither will the bump heads used on Echo or Honda.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mine will last well over a year before needing to be replaced, but I do mow at 3" plus on every lawn.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do a lot of curbs around stores. My heads usually last all year. I have tried just replacing the parts piece by piece to save money but, now I just replace the whole thing. I have 2 new ones in the truck now just waiting for one to go down. I think I would re-think how I am running them. When replacing the line I shake out the dirt and dust. I have heard of guys spraying inside with WD 40to keep them slick.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Perhaps some folks haven't learned the fine art of tapping the trimmer head properly,
then again I'm the fool who caught a trimmer-slung branch with his face not a week ago.
I don't think it's tapping that's doing this. Running the spool on the ground, maybe. Trimming a sidewalk edge with the string at a flat angle, so the spool is too low. Even tapping a lot won't wear through the spool that fast. It's got to be in prolonged moving contact with the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Come on you are wearing out those stihl heads in two monthsThose are one thing that stihl makes that is absolutely the best from wear and reliability. I can assure you no speed head will last longer and neither will the bump heads used on Echo or Honda.
You think? The string bump heads exits higher from the ground than on other styles (because the bump cap sticks out). Maybe someone needs just that extra guarter of an inch of clearance to keep from dragging the spool.

I'm not going to criticize whatever style works best for whomever.
Yes, maybe they're dragging the spool on the ground. Maybe we don't.
That's ok. But they'll have to either get used to replacing spools (or the whole head), trying that bolt/washer fix, or changing technique. I suspect that the first two are the most palatable options.

Oh, and that carriage bolt idea sounds pretty good. Probably better than the glued on washer one I saw, and easy to replace before the spool wears out if you pay attention. If you're an insane metal worker like myself, you could consider making something out of a stellite valve taken from a dead engine. Or maybe AR steel plate.

BTW, yes, the entire Stihl Autocut 25-2 (just an example I picked) head retails for twice the price of just the spool, but if you look online you can find spools for as little as $10.
I'm not suggesting buying the spool every time, but maybe you could do best buying two spools to every full head. Otherwise you'll be swimming in parts pretty soon.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The heads don't wear out very quickly, just the spools. I don't know why anyone would spend the extra money to buy the entire head each time the bump head wears down.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

My bump heads last around a year. Sounds like you have some knuckle heads laying it on concrete and walking with it.