Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Brand new > Under Warranty > Don't touch > Run to the Dealer!!!
Depends on what it is and how mechanically inclined a person is. The first thing I did with my very first mower was, go over the entire thing and checked, measured and adjusted EVERYTHING on the mower so "I" knew it was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
X2... Or use a small tape measure to measure the circumfrence.

I always adjust the belts and linkage per the manual, then play with air pressure to get it tracking right.
You're doing it backwards. Always get the air pressure set FIRST, then adjust the linkage rods to track straight. It doesn't matter if the rod adjustments are different as long as it tracks straight when both pistols/levers are pulled/pushed all the way in the same direction.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
You're doing it backwards. Always get the air pressure set FIRST, then adjust the linkage rods to track straight. It doesn't matter if the rod adjustments are different as long as it tracks straight when both pistols/levers are pulled/pushed all the way in the same direction.
We are talking about a belt drive, right!!? As long as you make the tires the same diameter first, then you can do it first. But if you just set them the same PSI, you are just wasting time. Those tires are never the same. Even if you get them from the same lot. If you adjust your tensioners and rods the way the manual tells you, you can adjust the tracking using the tires, without a gauge or tape.

It's never failed me and can be done in a matter of minutes.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

count the number of rings on the linkage bolts, make sure both sides have the same amount bellow the bolt. also make sure air pressure is identical, if both are even and it still dont work put more air in the left than the right